How to Build Cheap and Customizable Cages

Rocky

Established Member
Unfortunately at the moment my camera is on the fritz so I don't have pictures to show you finished products of this cage type but this is how i just made my new cage for my veiled.

I originally bought a Black Wire Storage thing from target to add a few shelves/storage to my bedroom and I realized that it could be made into a cage very easily.

Black Wire Storage Kit From Target

It basically comes in 14.5 inch squares that can be put together in anyway. One kit is about $20 and comes with 23 squares.

I made my cage in a cube type thing that has 3 sides all 3 squares by 2 squares which makes it 43 inches x 29 inches.

That uses up 18 squares. Then you need a top. The top for mine was 4 squares which made it 29inx29in.

So really you only have one square left. This one that i had left i put in the top corner for a pothos plant to hang from.

I then cut out a piece of plywood into a 30x30 square and drilled holes in the bottom on each side of where the cage was so I could wrap wire around it to hold it in place.

So there I basically had 3 sides with an opening. So what I did was buy a roll of screening for 24.50 that was 48in x 25ft.

The screening from Home Depot

I then cut 4 29x43in sheets and a 29x29in sheet and sewed them together. This was a little difficult because I am horrible at sewing so my girlfriend did it. She basically lined the outsides with a strip of cloth and then sewed them together at the cloth linings. And where the side without the caging was she sewed a zipper all the way around 3 sides so it could be zipped.

She already had the zipper stuff so I didn't have to buy it but I'm sure its not that expensive.

So basically you can build an easy custom cage in about an hour for 50-60 dollars. Mine was 29x29x43 inches and the top is stable enough for a heat lamp to be attatched as well as the UV light and a dripper.

Basically you can buy as many of the cube kits as you want and make any size cage you want this way. You could even set it up the way its supposed to be and put screening for doors and have 6 14.5x14.5x14.5in cubes for baby cages.

As soon as I get a new camera I will try to post pictures.

Last edited:
That is exactly what I made my cage out of. :p

Mine, however, is 2 squares by 4 with an 8" space underneath for a drainage tub. The interior dimensions are 28x28x48, exterior are 29x29x56.

You shouldn't use the connectors that come with the kits to put it together as a cage, though, because they aren't that sturdy. Zip ties are much better and stronger.

I'm almost done with mine, except I still have to attach the screen to the frame so the cham can't get between the metal and screen and hurt himself. It's taking a while because I'm sewing the screen to the metal frame with nylon cord.

We'll have to keep posting updates on how the cube panels hold up and work as a cham cage. :D

I thought that the connectors were pretty stable. I have pushed on it and it seems to hold it up fine. I finished mine saturday and everything seems sturdy.

we just built something similar for a larger run around area for our hedgehog so she doesnt get lost (she tends to get stuck in couch cushions)

kinda neat how something so cheap can be used many ways.

So basically you can build an easy custom cage in about an hour for 50-60 dollars.

Pretty cool, and a very neat concept, especially if you happen to just have these materials on hand, if not you would have to account for the pain of acquiring materials. But in my mind for $50-$60 you can buy a nice Aluminum screen cage. Out of the five cages I am using at the moment I only bought one of them new, the other four were all used. You would be surprised at what I payed for the used cages, if I payed anything at all... and there is nothing wrong with them. Classifieds are the way to go.

Another thing that I noticed is that those frames are made of Steel. Depending on how that steel is treated Rust could definately be an issue in the future.

Well here in lubbock texas you dont really see that many used cages for sale. There are 2 used ones at a pet store here and they want 130 each DX...

I worried about the rust as well, but the one i got is painted black(not sure if it's just pain or if there's a plastic coat) and it looks like it should be rust free for a while. I linked the silver one because that's all i could find online but i dont know if that is just pure steel or not. If so it may rust a lot easier.

Same here...there aren't many good cages offered up for sale on CL or otherwise around here. Believe me, I've looked. :) And that $50 cage on LLL is almost another $50 for shipping! Not something I can afford for just one item when I can build with materials already here.

I already had about 15 of the panels, so I only had to buy two sets to make the big cage I've got. My panels are silver and they're coated. I don't think rust will be an issue, but I intend to watch closely. I've dunked these panels fully before and the water just beaded right off. Of course, long term exposure is another story. :)

Eventually, I'd love to pick up an aluminum frame cage or build a well treated wooden one... but that will have to wait until I have the money to spare.

Yeah I ditto that I kind of want to see what these look like. Sounds interesting and worth the money I just want to see what it looks like.

i'll see if i can borrow a camera. i dont see myself buying a new one any time soon

Same here...there aren't many good cages offered up for sale on CL or otherwise around here. Believe me, I've looked. :) And that $50 cage on LLL is almost another $50 for shipping! Not something I can afford for just one item when I can build with materials already here.

I already had about 15 of the panels, so I only had to buy two sets to make the big cage I've got. My panels are silver and they're coated. I don't think rust will be an issue, but I intend to watch closely. I've dunked these panels fully before and the water just beaded right off. Of course, long term exposure is another story. :)

Eventually, I'd love to pick up an aluminum frame cage or build a well treated wooden one... but that will have to wait until I have the money to spare.

Yeah if you have the materials on hand already that you aren't using I could see how this could be handy.

I am not knocking your guys' idea... Just pointing out a few things. I still just happen to think if you were going to run out a pick up this stuff just to make a cage, I think it would be the wrong way to go. $21.99 + @ 20.99 for those frames is cheap? I wouldn't consider it Cheap. Especially When I have acquired several actual "Chameleon Cages" for less than that.

From the Denver Craigslist...
http://denver.craigslist.org/pet/1039753055.html
Looks amazing... And an INCREDIBLE DEAL! I would get that if I was closer.

http://denver.craigslist.org/for/1020064855.html Also from Denver Craigslist.

And craigslist list is just one place to start... Garage Sales... Place your own ads for Cham Cage wanted. Maybe a local herp society. Online Reptile Communities. I have 3 Reptariums I was considering for selling at around $20 bucks plus shipping. I doubt I am the only person in the country who is sitting on extra used cages. I hold them in case I need them in the future... But If I saw an ad for someone looking for a cham cage I am sure I would consider selling.

The only reason I say this is because I have been down that road. Doing DIY to try to save money on supplies. It can work... But I think unless you have something huge and custom in mind.... It don't believe the Cost/Labor effective way to go.

Also ... I am not sure if it because of where you are located... But having ordered from LLL several times... I would be very surprised if your shipping was even half of $50.... again I could be wrong... I have never shipped a bulk item from them out of state... But I would really be surprised if it was over $25.

This is not meant to come accross wrong, but I think caging is one of the least expensive aspects of this hobby... and It makes me really nervous when someone says that they had to cut corners on caging because of funds. I understand things are tough out there. But a cage is such a small investment, that if $100 or so bucks for a cage is out of the question, I wonder what other corners would be cut.

I am by no means saying that this idea could not be made to work fine... I am just a person who recommends buying the right stuff the first time, Because I have been down that road.

I paid $50 with shipping for 3 different sized Reptariums, one being the 200 gal Leo is in off of Craigslist.org

If anyone is near any military bases, you can try www.bookoo.com and search your state. We have one here for FT Campbell and its pretty decent. Not a lot of reptile stuff, but you can find ALMOST everything on there..

I too would love to see pics. Hubby wants to build an aluminum cage for Leo.

$21.99 + @ 20.99 for those frames is cheap?

No, that's not cheap. I paid $14 for each set, which contains 16 panels I believe. :)

From the Denver Craigslist...
http://denver.craigslist.org/pet/1039753055.html
Looks amazing... And an INCREDIBLE DEAL! I would get that if I was closer.

http://denver.craigslist.org/for/1020064855.html Also from Denver Craigslist.

The first one is really nice...but too big. One of my biggest drawbacks to CLing is that I don't have transportation. Unless they would be willing to deliver it, I couldn't get it. I'll email and ask, of course. :) That one must have shown up just this afternoon...I check every morning and evening.

As for the second one, it's gone. The guy just forgot to delete the posting. I emailed him as soon as I saw it.

For the same lack of transport reason, I can't go to garage sales or flea markets either. :( Only if someone is willing to ship or deliver large items can I get them.

This is not meant to come accross wrong, but I think caging is one of the least expensive aspects of this hobby... and It makes me really nervous when someone says that they had to cut corners on caging because of funds. I understand things are tough out there. But a cage is such a small investment, that if $100 or so bucks for a cage is out of the question, I wonder what other corners would be cut.

I understand perfectly. And don't worry about me cutting important corners like lighting...I spent $46 on a fixture so I could use the 24" UV tube I had been given. :)
And $100 for a cage when you can build one for $50 is out of the question to my partner, who already doesn't like how much my reptiles cost. Since caging is a one-time expense, he doesn't say much...unless I could build something similar for cheaper. :)
I checked LLL just now...a 24x24x48 cage Reptarium OR aluminum frame, which is closest to the size of the one I'm building, is $80! True, I saw shipping wrong when I was checking the site, but the total would still be $90 shipped...which is a bit steep.

Anyway, pictures were requested so I took some of my not-yet-finished cage. The frame is complete, but the screen has to be sewn on and the drains placed in the floor (which is corrugated plastic BTW).

Chamcagefronthalfway.jpg

Chamcagehalfway.jpg

Last edited:
Looks really nice.:) Big too! Did that mister I sent you end up working out alright?

Edit: I can't tell... Are the lights inside the cage?

:) I've been meaning to call you about that mister to double check which connections should be replaced. If you just let me know via PM, that should be enough.

As for the 'lights'... :) Those aren't lights, those are PVC tubes attached to the inside top of the cage for stability and for hanging plants off of. At the bottom, under the plastic flooring, there are four more for floor stability and to support plant pots. I usually overdo support and protection on animal enclosures. :)

The whole cage measures 29x29x56 with the space under the plastic floor included. There's a collection tub down there, you just can't see it in the pics. :) The inside is 28x28x48. Thanks for saying it looks nice, it's been driving me nuts. :D

The panels are really great, and with the screen outside it gives the cham something to grab other than the tiny screen holes while climbing, thus (hopefully) reducing the chances of toe injuries.

I know that BedBath&Beyond sells them for about $15 - 16 grids per set- since that's where I got mine. But Target, WalMart(some), Amazon.com, Staples, and other stores like that also carry them for varying prices per set.

There are a lot of sites online that show these being used as Guinea Pig and Rabbit cages as well...in fact, that's why I already had some of the panels. :) I used them for my GPig, then sold a bunch of the panels and kept some for a closet shelf system. Now I wish I'd still had the other panels...could have saved $30 and made this cage now practically free. :)

Back
Top Bottom