How the movie Tangled hurt the reptile hobby

Gingero

Neptune the Chameleon
Site Sponsor
The movie Tangled is a great movie featuring a cute chameleon named Pascal. Unfortunately, there’s a lot of things about the movie that were incorrect and as a result have been very harmful for the chameleon community. Just like with any pet, it’s important to do the correct research and make sure that you have realistic expectations when it comes to owning the animal.

The movie didn’t harm chameleons. The pet stores that sold the chameleons without giving the buyers a reality check and the lack of regulation did.

Last edited:
If you want an actual example of a movie harming reptiles then TMNT: Mutant Mayhem is a good one because they actually promoted a poorly made aquatic turtle kit for real life pet turtles in the UK.

But buyers still have a responsibility to do their own research and purchase the correct supplies. I think if people were educated buyers, they wouldn’t be shopping at pet stores to begin with.
True, I understand if it’s kids making this mistake, but parents and adults should know better than to treat an animated, magic Disney animal like it’s the real deal. I think the biggest impact that can be made is if we somehow convince all big chain stores to provide nothing but useful/good products. Petsmart is the only one I know that’s taking baby steps towards doing better (such as recommending bioactive soil instead of calcium sand, selling Arcadia lights and food, selling 4x2x2s and recommending them in some of their online care guides).

101 Dalmatians put a lot of pressure of the breed popularity. Then the Teenage Mutant Turtles put more harm on popularity of baby Red Ear Slider turtles.

Here is my piece about this. Yes, movies that was made with an animal on the side (which are cute) does boost the interest and sales in the pet industry but for me it is not the intention of such movie makers to hurt or disseminate false informations. The purpose of such movies is to entertain. Now the responsibility goes down to individuals, whether the pet store or buying public. Let us not put holes on everything that doesn’t conform on what we know (more than them) since the movies are for entertainment only. Let’s be furious if it is Nat Geo or Discovery channel who made those (narrated by Sir David Attenborough 😁) and they are broadcast the wrong info.
Peace out!

One thing I wanted to point out is I never knew the Tangled film featured a chameleon. I only knew of Rango but I haven’t watch either film since their launch.
Your video made me realized that why people have named their chameleon Pascal. LOL

Back
Top Bottom