How Panthers differ from Veileds

MsCham

I have begun research into another chameleon. I currently own a veiled. Without going to the US the only other species I have access to would be a panther. (Though I would much prefer a carpet, I'll slowly expand... Maybe one day in like 5 years I'll figure out how to get a chameleon across the border legally... lol Right now I don't even have a passport! xD)

Anyways - curious as to how the set up/care would differ from a veileds. As far as I understand they are a larger breed, therefor no doubt the cage would need to be larger? I already have the largest exoterra screened enclosure available, would I need something larger? Do they eat a significant amount more? Do you find they have more/less/equal health problems under the same conditions? Is there a thread or blog already out there somewhere that compares the different species of chams and their care?

Just wanting to make out a budget and start saving/keeping an eye out for deals (particularly on cages). Im in absolutely no rush! I probably won't be getting him for another year or two (and it will be a him - I dont feel confident with females until I have more experience with males!!) but its good to start research and save some money! :)

Thanks!

The care sheets on this site for each species might be a good place to start. I would give you the links but I'm on an app... But if you look under husbandry you should find them. Good luck :)

Yeah, I looked at those! Thanks! I was hoping for some personal solutions/opinions. The caresheets for panthers seem very similar to veileds. :)

Panthers are kept almost the exact same way as veileds. The only difference is I keep the temps a bit cooler and the humidity a little higher.

I have begun research into another chameleon. I currently own a veiled. Without going to the US the only other species I have access to would be a panther. (Though I would much prefer a carpet, I'll slowly expand... Maybe one day in like 5 years I'll figure out how to get a chameleon across the border legally... lol Right now I don't even have a passport! xD)

Anyways - curious as to how the set up/care would differ from a veileds. As far as I understand they are a larger breed, therefor no doubt the cage would need to be larger? I already have the largest exoterra screened enclosure available, would I need something larger? Do they eat a significant amount more? Do you find they have more/less/equal health problems under the same conditions? Is there a thread or blog already out there somewhere that compares the different species of chams and their care?

Just wanting to make out a budget and start saving/keeping an eye out for deals (particularly on cages). Im in absolutely no rush! I probably won't be getting him for another year or two (and it will be a him - I dont feel confident with females until I have more experience with males!!) but its good to start research and save some money! :)

Thanks!

I chose a panther for my first chameleon because most of what I've read and seen indicates that they have a much calmer demeanor than many veileds.

I chose a panther for my first chameleon because most of what I've read and seen indicates that they have a much calmer demeanor than many veileds.
I wonder if that's true. I've never had a panther, but my veiled is extremely territorial. Unless I have food, I'm not even allowed NEAR his cage!

But as far as I know, care for both species is nearly identical.

I wonder if that's true. I've never had a panther, but my veiled is extremely territorial. Unless I have food, I'm not even allowed NEAR his cage!

But as far as I know, care for both species is nearly identical.

I've only had my little guy for two and a half weeks, and he's still quite skittish around my hands and my big face, but even when he's gaped, he's never attempted to bite. He's all show for now :)

I've only had my little guy for two and a half weeks, and he's still quite skittish around my hands and my big face, but even when he's gaped, he's never attempted to bite. He's all show for now :)
That's funny, mine actually does the same! He will gape and everything, but instead of biting he just headbutts me. He just gets angry whenever I'm near him!

I really think it depends on the cham. Veileds are unfortunately stereotyped as "aggressive" (which is technicality defensiveness), but not all of them act this way. Mine for example, has never bitten me and has only hissed or gaped a couple of times (at unfamiliar strangers). Most of the time, he is a sweetheart. Shy, but sweet. There are a lot of "aggressive" panther chameleons too. IMO, it more depends on the individual chameleon's personality than the species.

Mine bites the crap out of me, so he gets left alone, maybe he will calm down when he gets older.
The best thing to do is work on handling a littlw more, which is what I'm doing right now. With regular handling, most animals learn to tolerate it a lot better. So far my veiled is handling it pretty well! I just use food to coax him out![emoji23]

I have a friend who has kept both panthers and Veileds for years. He without even thinking about it, will tell you that Panthers are more mellow. From my understanding, Panthers require higher humidity, everything else is basically the same. The only other difference I can think of is that Panthers typically will not eat greens/veggies like Veileds.

That's funny, mine actually does the same! He will gape and everything, but instead of biting he just headbutts me. He just gets angry whenever I'm near him!

omg i thought my veiled was the only one who does this. he will puff up, hiss, and ram with his head lol. but once you get him on your hand he unpuffs and chills out. veilds are silly.

omg i thought my veiled was the only one who does this. he will puff up, hiss, and ram with his head lol. but once you get him on your hand he unpuffs and chills out. veilds are silly.
Exactly! He's all bark and no bite! As soon as he's out, he stops hissing and puffing. [emoji23]

Most male panthers are sweethearts. 60/40 on the females, their mothering instincts tend to kick in after a clutch. But then again, I 100% leave my females alone. My males know when I pick them up, it is 'date night' :eek:, so that would make any male nice. :D Come to think about it, my male veils who experienced 'good vibrations' were nicer, also.

Back
Top Bottom