How old should cham be before buying?

ChrisFL

Hello!

I'm 42 years old, and have had many pets over the years. Cats, fish, hamsters, parrots...but never a reptile.

A local exotic animal store is selling baby veiled chams. They are currently 3 weeks old, and will be about 5 to 6 weeks old before I am ready to buy one. Is this too young? They sure are cut lil buggers :D

Welcome!
babies shouldnt be sold befoe 3 months old
That being said, I bought my male veiled at 2 weeks old, and hes now 2 years old and the father to 30 little ones.

If theres no shipping involved, its easier to deal with a younger baby, though they still really shouldnt be sold younger than 2 months.

Welcome to the love of reptiles it is quite rewarding the work will seem time consuming till u get into a routine. If you haven't had a chameleon before and there is a wait period u can take the time to learn more about chameleons and look up some info on the forum here as well.. I would read on these forums for years before I joined as I just learned so much but I like it even better now that am a member. I have never had a veiled just a tamatave and some ambilobe but am sure someone w veiled experience would be more than glad to share. The few weeks you are waiting will go by fast and you will be glad you did coz they will be a bit bigger and you will have more confidence not saying u couldn't just get one now, I feel a little older for a first time may cause you less anxiety. All the best, and I hope you enjoy the experience.

For a first Cham I would second 3 months. They are so fragile before then and could easily become sick.

For a big baby veiled, I wouldn't buy younger than 2-3 months since this is your first chameleon/reptile. If they are very big, 2 months is fine, if they are smaller, I would wait until 3 months. Some keepers/breeders feed their animals really well so that the babies are huge by the time they are 3 months old, and those ones are generally more hardy by 2 months than the smaller ones of the same age. Before 2-3 months, there is a higher chance of them dying for various reasons (or sometimes for what seems like no reason at all.) And because this would be your first chameleon, you should really start off by giving yourself the best chances of success.

Thanks everyone :) They would probably be at least 2 months old before I was able to get one anyway. Will check out the size and whatnot then.

As long as the set up is ok you can own a cham days after its born. they are fully independent and actually do better without having its siblings with it. I had hatchlings born a few days ago and i already gave one to a friend that knows how to care for them. Them being in my care or his wont affect his health.

As long as the set up is ok you can own a cham days after its born. they are fully independent and actually do better without having its siblings with it. I had hatchlings born a few days ago and i already gave one to a friend that knows how to care for them. Them being in my care or his wont affect his health.

For someone who is experienced in cham care thats one thing.

BUt as a new owner, the baby should be well established first.

Back
Top Bottom