How often to be fed?

izzy05

I usually feed him when i wake up, around 9 AM then sometime in the evening. then right before i turn the night light on. he usually eats around 3-5 crickets per serving. i just got him last week. im not sure how old he is. but i know he is a juvenile. its a Jackson's Cham.

Is he eating too much? or not enough?

Under 6 months old put 15 crickets in the morning and remove uneaten at night. NO NIGHT LIGHT. They need the cool night temps to fully shut down and sleep deep. Over 6 months old he will cut down a little and u just need to feed accordingly..

okay, ive been hand feeding him since i got him. but ill do that. i just dont want to miss a cricket, and something happen to the cham over night... but the nightlight isnt but a 40 watt and its about 6" above the enclosure. Its usually 63-69 degrees at night in the warmest spot.

^^agree^^ don't forget some variety:) Dubia roaches, mealworms I use Phoenix worms I don't know other peoples opinion on them besides not to give them to older chams. And my 4 mo veiled eats a wax worm for treat/ hand feed only:) looking for more variety as well. Best of luck!

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male Jackson's, ive had it since last wednesday.
Handling - i do not handle him much. ive taken him outside once, and he enjoyed it. but im letting him get more comfortable with me before i do anything else so he doesnt get stressed out.
Feeding - i feed him small crickets, about 15 per day. i space it out. 5 in the morning, evening and night. yes, theyre gut loaded
Supplements - herptivite. ill dust the crickets weekly. (i get more crickets every week.)
Watering - i use a reptifogger, every hour i leave it on for about 5-10 minutes and ill mist the cage 5-10 times daily.
Fecal Description - he poops just about every day, it looks like normal fecal matter. yes hes been tested and no for paracites. :)
History - not that i can think of. :)
Cage Info:
Cage Type - reptibreeze 16x16x20 (for now, as he gets bigger ill get the 24x24x48.
Lighting - 50w basking bulb and 26w uvb bulb from 9AM to 9PM then from 9PM to 9AM i use a 40w red night light bulb.
Temperature - The temps in the basking area range from 73-80. the lowest temp is 63-67. thats usually where he stays. he occasionally basks, i measure these with a digital thermometer and a regular thermometer in the cage.
Humidity - the humidity levels stays from 60-80% i use a reptifogger and a bottle mister to maintain these levels. i measure the humidity with a hygrometer.
Plants - no live plants.
Placement - i have a room just for my reptiles. i close off the air vents to keep them warm. nobody but me and my mom go into that room. his cages height is 6' and its on a PVC shelf i made.
Location - South Mississippi

Current Problem - Nothing. lol

Okay.. supplementing is the only thing that needs work so far ur doing great..

Plain phosphorus free calcium with NO D3 every day.. to off set the calcium to phosphorus ratio In the crickets.
Calcium WITH D3 2 times a month to add the small amount of d3 not being revived from the 5.0 (for jacksons maybe just 1 time a month)
Herptivite. 1 time a month.

All of thees very very light dustings.. crickets should bearly change color at all.. just turn a slight grey color drom the dust..

Night temps can get down to 55 and if u need night heat a ceramic emitter Is best

better to feed in the morning and early afternoon, not towards evening
you probably want to use a calicum powder about twice a week (not necessarily on all the feeders that day)
recude use of herptivite to a couple times a month only, weekly too much IMHO
You'll want to switch some of those crickets for alternative prey choices

...Plain phosphorus free calcium with NO D3 every day..
This may be too much, IMHO, for a jacksons.
depends somewhat on the gutloading

No red night light.

Last edited:
And i still.recommend releasing all crickets In the morning to give them all day to hunt.. my veiled has em all gone by about 3 its good to exercise there instinct. u can hand feed but do allow them to hunt a bit there good at it :)
If u notice ur taking some out at night start cutting back abit.. they eat less as they get passed there initial growth spurt..
One or two occasionally left In there at night probably won't cause an issue.
U can also leave a little dish of gutload on the bottom that can draw stragglers away from ur cham at night.

My info is IMO and semi generalized I do not claim to be a jacksons expert or an expert at all..

If u need specific jacksons info i personaly highly recommend "miss Lily" great member that has a lot of knowledge on jacksons specifically

better to feed in the morning and early afternoon, not towards evening
you probably want to use a calicum powder once or twice a week (no necessarily on all the feeders that day)
You'll want to switch some of those crickets for alternative prey choices

She Is our resident gutloading queen and all things feeding should be takin very seriously from her.. thanks for the help Sandra ;)

Last edited:
okay so what supplement should i get? to use weekly, since i should only use the herpivite monthly

Use plain phosphorus free calcium with NO D3 to use a couple times a week.
Phosphorus free calcium WITH d3 for once or twice a month
And herptivite once a month.

All extremely light dustings..

Back
Top Bottom