how often should i handle my chameleon?????

benmeleon

Hey chameleon lovers,

I have a one year old male panther and i've had him for 3 months. Recently he has had itchy feet and at any chance tries to scramble free from him enclosure!

How often should I let him roam free? Do chameleons prefer soft surfaces over hard (sofa to floor)?

Thanks!

Benmeleon :):cool:

Hey chameleon lovers,

I have a one year old male panther and i've had him for 3 months. Recently he has had itchy feet and at any chance tries to scramble free from him enclosure!

How often should I let him roam free? Do chameleons prefer soft surfaces over hard (sofa to floor)?

Thanks!

Benmeleon :):cool:

Chams cant walk well on flat surfaces. If he roams free and you dont have him in a free range set up, then let him climb on things he can grab onto.

You know they (in general) don't prefer to be handled and some hate it!!!! They can get super stressed if touch and held often and it can affect their health. So, if I were you I keep the handling down to a minimum, just to taking him out and putting him down fairly quickly. When you put him down and he/she wants to crawl on you that's fine because it gives him free range to do as he pleases. Keep your eyes on him when he is free in the house or yard they can get away fast! Outside watch-out for cats or hawks/owls etc that may eye him as a meal. Hawks will grab him-up right in front of your face, they don't have much fear... We have a lot of hawks here where i live and I had a chihuahua get killed/eaten by a big Owl one late summer afternoon.

Last edited:
chameleons can't walk on flat surfaces.... look at their little feet, they feel most comfortable grabbing onto things like twigs/sticks/vines that fit their feet well

Answers are going to vary greatly. To never...or like me who handles my panther daily. If he didn't like it I probably wouldn't. But he comes to me, wants out and hangs in the sun or while I do dishes. His colors and attitude always stay soft and he seems very happy

Answers are going to vary greatly. To never...or like me who handles my panther daily. If he didn't like it I probably wouldn't. But he comes to me, wants out and hangs in the sun or while I do dishes. His colors and attitude always stay soft and he seems very happy
It is fun when they prefer to crawl around on you!!! :)

It depends on your pet. Ellie is a little bit med when I take her out but then when it's time to put her back she don't want to go. I say handle as much asyour pet cares to be.:):mad::p

I handle my chameleon everyday. But it is mostly to move him to either his freerange on my patio or to his outdoor cage. He also has a indoor cage so he gets moved around daily but he seems to not mind it at all. I think he likes the change of scenery and never really gets stressed out no matter where he is.

Who wouldn't want to handle him!!!!

This is my panther chameleon who goes by the name of Rex..T Rex :p:p:p:p

Attachments

• rex.jpg
    rex.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 539
Hello.

I am not expert but i think a lot of people say to dandle chameleons as often as they like it.

I think its most probably true. They will show us when they are afride by colours and moves... Mine runs to me everytime he see me... He also likes to sleep on my head... I hate when he do it because its comming very sudenly and than i have problems to take him off.... Also hes trying to go back on me not to cage...

This is old discusion i know it... My post is for someone who will find this as me... I was just trying to find answer if its OK that my chameleon is acting as i said... I was like he must be " broken " :-D. Hopefully not as i see...

Also i handle him veeery carefully. .. For example if he try to go somewhere mostly i am making way for him in direction where hes aiming.. Hand by hand though the air ( i am not carying him just placing hand in air where he wants to go) . Sometimes its... Just... I think he stress me more as i do stress him :-D sometimes i just stay 20 or more minutes in weird position just to make him happy :-D And I really sometimes suffer just to stay where he wants...

Back
Top Bottom