how often do u replace uvb bulbs

coreyflowers1

IV always changed my uvb bulbs ever six months but I had somone tell me only to change them once a year.just curious if I'm doing it right or should it b once a year

I believe only the Arcadia light let you get away with changing them that little, but with the more common bulbs I still change them every 6-7 months to make sure the chameleons are getting strong UVB.

Per Gehrmann & Ferguson, 2005, between six and twelve months there is about a 4% reduction of UVB* output in tested bulbs. At the 12 month mark, Gehrmann and Ferguson state that UVB levels are still typically within the range of appropriate radiance for their test subjects. The majority of the UVB output decline happens during the first 3 months after the initial peak (baseline peak being tested against, which is after approximately 100 hours of burn time -i.e. the break in period).

With this said, I change linear fluorescent ZooMed 5.0's about every twelve months.

The use of a UVB meter certainly wouldn't hurt... If we could only make them cheap enough for every hobbyist to have one, and for breeders and shops to sell them in their chameleon starter kits!

Per Gehrmann & Ferguson, 2005, between six and twelve months there is about a 4% reduction of UVB* output in tested bulbs. At the 12 month mark, Gehrmann and Ferguson state that UVB levels are still typically within the range of appropriate radiance for their test subjects. The majority of the UVB output decline happens during the first 3 months after the initial peak (baseline peak being tested against, which is after approximately 100 hours of burn time -i.e. the break in period).

With this said, I change linear fluorescent ZooMed 5.0's about every twelve months.

The use of a UVB meter certainly wouldn't hurt... If we could only make them cheap enough for every hobbyist to have one, and for breeders and shops to sell them in their chameleon starter kits!

This is true, but I would add that we are mostly using these bulbs through a screen which will reduce the amount of UVB getting through, so a 5.0 is less from the start. If after a few months you have decreased the efficiency, this will cause even less to penetrate the screen. This would be the reason for the changing every 6 months. And yes, with the Arcadia bulbs this can be every year.

This is true, but I would add that we are mostly using these bulbs through a screen which will reduce the amount of UVB getting through, so a 5.0 is less from the start. If after a few months you have decreased the efficiency, this will cause even less to penetrate the screen. This would be the reason for the changing every 6 months. And yes, with the Arcadia bulbs this can be every year.

I like to use double tube fixtures so I can pair up an "old" ReptiSun with a "new" one. I can get more out of both. Seems to work OK and I get more general cage lighting for plants etc.

I like to use double tube fixtures so I can pair up an "old" ReptiSun with a "new" one. I can get more out of both. Seems to work OK and I get more general cage lighting for plants etc.

Great idea! This would take the guess work out of it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom