How much

Elig15

How much can I sell my male 1 year to about 1 year and a half male veiled chameleon. He is healthy and all but he's just to mean and I want to upgrade to panthers. With him being mean bring down the price?

How much can I sell my male 1 year to about 1 year and a half male veiled chameleon. He is healthy and all but he's just to mean and I want to upgrade to panthers. With him being mean bring down the price?

Describe what you mean by "mean"?

In my years of work with a variety of species and my study of the science of applied behavior analysis, "mean" is a construct. You have no idea what that chameleon is thinking, and a word like "mean" implies you do.

Aggressive behaviors in a small prey animal like a chameleon are generally defense responses. He is either defending him against a predator (you) or he is defending his territory. It is a response to some stimulus, either your direct (mis)handling or your husbandry practices. Either reason, the solution lies in changing your behavior and/or the animal's environment so you do not stimulate an aggressive response.

There is a phrase amongst parrot trainers that I think is apropos: "Bite me once, shame on you. Bite me twice, shame on me."

As soon as we as keepers accept responsibility for creating the unwanted behaviors our animals exhibit, the sooner we can solve them. Sometimes the solution is to simply never handle a problematic animal.

A veiled chameleon is known for not tolerating handling as well as other chameleons. There is no guarantee that your (mis)handling won't create an aggressive Panther as well.

An adult male veiled has no value.

I got him maybe 6 months ago and he was already aggressive and as I have read they won't change up the additude as they age. I don't mishandle him at all. I take very good care of him. He's only aggresive when he's in his cage so like you said I'm assuming that he's proctecting his territory, when he's out he's nice. But I don't handle him much, just to clean his age and such. I don't want to cause to much stress on him

My male is very aggressive. He is almost 2 now and he prefers to be left alone. If I do have to take him out I do it quickly and try not to get bit lol. He has been this way forever, he just doesn't like to be handled. He has never been mistreated and is healthy and thriving so his set up is good. He just isn't interested in being my buddy lol.

My panther is total opposite, Link pretty much demands to be taken out lol....he would spend all day with us if we let him. He prefers to lap water off of my hand once or twice a day. He is awesome.

That being said, I wouldn't trade my veiled for anything. He was my first reptile and even though I'm pretty sure he wishes an eagle would carry me away I still love him ;-P

That's the business of these beautiful little creatures. They don't always love attention or interaction.

Just because you have an aggressive chameleon doesn't necessarily mean you made it that way lol.. my green high hats were hit or miss one would be a **** the others loved getting out of their cage.. however I personally wouldn't write an animal off simply on what is it's nature.

Anyways,

I see people selling adult veileds for $75-100 on craigslist all the time.

I don't want to sell him but he bit my mom cause she's stupid and dosent know how to handle them and she's making me. He's my first cham to I would
Love to keep him. And I've heard Panther are nicer so I told her that and she said I could get one

I got him maybe 6 months ago and he was already aggressive and as I have read they won't change up the additude as they age. I don't mishandle him at all. I take very good care of him. He's only aggresive when he's in his cage so like you said I'm assuming that he's proctecting his territory, when he's out he's nice. But I don't handle him much, just to clean his age and such. I don't want to cause to much stress on him

Figure out a strategy to deal with him so you don't trigger the aggressive behavior. Every time you stimulate an aggressive response is another learning opportunity for him to set that behavior as his default response to your presence.

You can lure him out. You can use a stick and teach him to step up on a stick to get him away from the area he feels the need to protect. You can make a pathway of fake vines out of his cage so you don't have to handle him. You can make his enclosure bigger, so you have more room to work in his cage without him feeling you are getting into his space. A hungry learner is an attentive learner and will work for their food.

Be creative and think about solving the problem. Identify the stimulus that sets the behavior in motion. Is it your hand 12" away from him? Is it your hand 6" inside the cage regardless of where he is? Observe and then adjust YOUR behavior.

There are all kinds of solutions other than rehoming.

Id suggest that no ones mom is stupid... just because she doesnt know how to handle him.... i would suggest that its your responsibility to teach your mom how to handle or not handle....
please try to keep it polite on here...

Back
Top Bottom