How much water do i REALLY NEED?

Some in the Humid forests of Madagascar where rain is dang near constant, and humidity is 80% or above at all times.
The humidity at daytime in the firests migjt reach above 80% at daytime, but will be lower except for rainy season. Outside of forest, it is much lower - see eg Ambanja at the end of NOV 2019 and this was within the secondary forest in early afternoon
1583945319775.jpeg

So if I stop the nocturnal misting and discontinue the dripper almost completely, I'll have enough water for drinking?
That leaves 4, 3 minute mistings from 8 am to 8 pm.
I would strongly advice against this oractice, the reasons I have mentioned i. My reactions

can yiu please refer us to this unique article that musg be really strange, as it does not correspond with the climatological facts of the occupied regions... and for montane soecies this recommendation is a death sentence, I am serious
I would love to but the article has been removed. Also, my post wAsnt meant to be taken seriously or anything but to state that it was interesting that a scientific article was stating the contrary.

The humidity at daytime in the firests migjt reach above 80% at daytime, but will be lower except for rainy season. Outside of forest, it is much lower - see eg Ambanja at the end of NOV 2019 and this was within the secondary forest in early afternoon View attachment 260406

I wasn't meaning areas such as Ambanja, more so the Montane Areas of the Central East.

Also those Exoterra combo meters, are terribly inaccurate, have you salt tested it to see how far off it is? Because I have seen them off, as much as 15%.

I wasn't meaning areas such as Ambanja, more so the Montane Areas of the Central East.

Also those Exoterra combo meters, are terribly inaccurate, have you salt tested it to see how far off it is? Because I have seen them off, as much as 15%.

well, as we mostly discuss the more common species, ai di not anticipate that yiunwill talk about montane areas and central East, there, of course the humidity at daytime can be qyuite high and the temps quite low.

yes we had three thermo-hygrometers and their deviation was monute, it works fine if tiungove it time to stabikize and use it correctly.

well, as we mostly discuss the more common species, ai di not anticipate that yiunwill talk about montane areas and central East, there, of course the humidity at daytime can be qyuite high and the temps quite low.

yes we had three thermo-hygrometers and their deviation was monute, it works fine if tiungove it time to stabikize and use it correctly.

We do, and I agree if the article was phrasing it as "Commonly kept".

However he said the article said ALL Chameleons would be fine with 50% humidity. That statement, I do not like. Panthers, Jackson's and Yemen's, ya 50% is probably fine. However if we start looking into more exotic species, that doesn't hold as true.

As you pointed out, the same I did I see now. For Montanes that's a death sentence. That was what I was trying to touch on as well.

We do, and I agree if the article was phrasing it as "Commonly kept".

However he said the article said ALL Chameleons would be fine with 50% humidity. That statement, I do not like. Panthers, Jackson's and Yemen's, ya 50% is probably fine. However if we start looking into more exotic species, that doesn't hold as true.

As you pointed out, the same I did I see now. For Montanes that's a death sentence. That was what I was trying to touch on as well.

we are on same page here, totally support!

Agreed in conventional caging, Bioactivity changes everything though. Also long time no see, hope you been well :).

Life has gotten me so brought about in so many different directions with things. Bought a house a year ago. Got married this past July 1st 2019. New job. Life been cRaZy :coffee::coffee:
Still have the panther chameleon, still doing great. I need to start getting on here more though. I miss all you guys.

to reverse the Humidity cycles is very risky as it causes diseases and disorder and shortens the Lifetime tremendously

It causes diseases? Many many people mist during the day only. Me included. I've never heard anything about it shortening the lifespan? There are people who've been in this hobby for years that mist during day only without issues. As mentioned above, I guess you gotta find what works for you and go with it for the best of cham health.

the yemen chameleons live in areas, where (with the exception of t most rainy months) the daytime humidity drops to levels under 30% and at night it raises above90 with almost daily fog.

Therrfire, daiky misting and maintaining high humidity at daytime, especially in case of switched ON basking lights is not only unnatural but also dangerous (the combination of high humidity and high temperature it’s a great precursor or off respiratory diseases).
Dry warm (not hot) daytime and humid cold nights are the regime we should seek for in captivity.

Never new this. Good to know because I’m planning on getting a Veiled soon so should I try to start the misting at night only then when this lights are off?

Never new this. Good to know because I’m planning on getting a Veiled soon so should I try to start the misting at night only then when this lights are off?

or eben better use a fogger to simulate the daily fog in their environment

I've been using half as much water in my LITTLE DRIPPERS and using them every other day.
I'm using my MISTKING just the same way as before.
I'm also feeding some Hornworms now in rotation with a food of mostly crickets with some Superworms. And the hydration seems just fine.
All 3 chams seem happy, bright and healthy.

Life has gotten me so brought about in so many different directions with things. Bought a house a year ago. Got married this past July 1st 2019. New job. Life been cRaZy :coffee::coffee:
Still have the panther chameleon, still doing great. I need to start getting on here more though. I miss all you guys.

It causes diseases? Many many people mist during the day only. Me included. I've never heard anything about it shortening the lifespan? There are people who've been in this hobby for years that mist during day only without issues. As mentioned above, I guess you gotta find what works for you and go with it for the best of cham health.

yes if course excessive humidity in combination with high temperatures With no doubt potents the development of RI, especially sinusitis

the dact thst many orople do so does. It mean itnis correct.
In medieval everyone was convinced the world ti be flst but it is not

as an example, yemen chameleons can easily live fir 14 and mire years. I had many exceeding 12
reverting the humidity cycles from the natural (cild moist nights, warm, dry days) to absolutely unnatural (hor and humid days and warm and dry nights) is definitely taking their pay and one is the years rhat they can survive

How you and the ones rhat mist during the days measure “without issues”? If in the simplest example: the result of such care is average 3-5 sears and applaudable in the hsrdies soecies Yemen chameleon and pittiful 1-3years in rhe case of the kontanes and dwarfs. So, with good caew, the first can live miee than 14 and the latter reach 10.

i agree with the idea rhat everyone needs ti find what is the concretenissue how ti provide correct conditions for the animals adjusting it frim the conditions, he/she has available
But i am strictky against, and consider it wring and jnethical, to exoeriment in orividing to animals rhat fir tens of millions if years are adapted on something that ensures their comfort tomoffer somethinv absolutely different

Back
Top Bottom