How much to supplement baby Panther Chameleon?

Jasper10

Hi everyone, I am new to Chameleon keeping and I have just setup and got my first Chameleon. He is a 3.5 month old Panther Chameleon. He is currently in an Exo Terra Glass terrarium 60x60cm with a mesh cover. I understand the amount of supplementation is dependent on UVB and diet. I have the T5 Pro 6% Forest UVB strip light above my mesh (should that be 12%?).

I understand feeding has a big indicator on his health. One of the main thing I took away from the breeder was that feed him a huge variety and to not be lazy. So, I have purchased Crickets, Locusts, Dubia Roaches and Silkworms for a staple diet with Wax worms and Mealworms being offered fortnightly. Is this diet sufficient or will changes need to be made?

If so how do I go about supplementing if I have a 6% UVB light above the mesh? I have Calcium Dust, will I need to dust a percentage of these prey items daily? Lightly? Heavily?

I also have Komodo Nutri Cal and Komodo Livefood Booster for Chameleons, I understand these are multi vitamin supplements that should only be used fortnightly/monthly? How often should I use these? Lightly or heavily dusted?

Sorry for so many questions, feeding seems a heavily debated topic so I wanted to be sure as I understand over supplementing can be just as serious as under supplementing and I want to get it right from the start.

I just want what's best for my little man.

3FD349A4-65E8-4365-9EAB-7238B969C31F.jpeg

stop feeding waxworms and mealworms they are high in fat and mealworms cause impaction in the digestive system.

6% is good for his entire life span

dust 100% of prey with calcium without d3 every feeding and dust calcium with d3 twice a month and dust multivitamin twice a month

Hi everyone, I am new to Chameleon keeping and I have just setup and got my first Chameleon. He is a 3.5 month old Panther Chameleon. He is currently in an Exo Terra Glass terrarium 60x60cm with a mesh cover. I understand the amount of supplementation is dependent on UVB and diet. I have the T5 Pro 6% Forest UVB strip light above my mesh (should that be 12%?).

I understand feeding has a big indicator on his health. One of the main thing I took away from the breeder was that feed him a huge variety and to not be lazy. So, I have purchased Crickets, Locusts, Dubia Roaches and Silkworms for a staple diet with Wax worms and Mealworms being offered fortnightly. Is this diet sufficient or will changes need to be made?

If so how do I go about supplementing if I have a 6% UVB light above the mesh? I have Calcium Dust, will I need to dust a percentage of these prey items daily? Lightly? Heavily?

I also have Komodo Nutri Cal and Komodo Livefood Booster for Chameleons, I understand these are multi vitamin supplements that should only be used fortnightly/monthly? How often should I use these? Lightly or heavily dusted?

Sorry for so many questions, feeding seems a heavily debated topic so I wanted to be sure as I understand over supplementing can be just as serious as under supplementing and I want to get it right from the start.

I just want what's best for my little man.

View attachment 222096
So glad you want the best for little guy as that's how it should be.

As you already pointed out, over supplementing can be an issue. So with that in mind, a light dusting is all that's needed. If you end up with snow crickets, it's too much.

Many people use a plastic bag to dust. My way (for what it's worth) is to use a soft plastic tub with lid that actually had a mushroom sauce for steak in it. Pop a bit of powder in, pop in the feeders and flick the bottom with your finger to almost make the powder like an aerosol.

If for any reason they are still too heavily loaded, pop them in another clean container to shake off any excess.

If you haven't already, look through the resources on this forum which should help you out a lot.

To help make sure you've got things right, fill out and post this form which will allow the community to help iron out any little issues;

Chameleon Info: ◦Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? ◦Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? ◦Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? ◦Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? ◦Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? ◦Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? ◦History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Cage Info: ◦Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? ◦Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? ◦Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? ◦Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? ◦Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? ◦Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? ◦Location - Where are you geographically located? Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. -------------- Please Note: 1The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive. 2Photos can be very helpful.

stop feeding waxworms and mealworms they are high in fat and mealworms cause impaction in the digestive system.

6% is good for his entire life span

dust 100% of prey with calcium without d3 every feeding and dust calcium with d3 twice a month and dust multivitamin twice a month

Thank you very much for your response @Thehippie , since posting this I have read up about mealworm digestion and plan to scrap those. However, Waxworm seem to be a popular treat? Not even fortnightly for some variation, or is it best to scrap completely? I appreciate the response, I will lightly dust 100% of my feeders.

So glad you want the best for little guy as that's how it should be.

As you already pointed out, over supplementing can be an issue. So with that in mind, a light dusting is all that's needed. If you end up with snow crickets, it's too much.

Many people use a plastic bag to dust. My way (for what it's worth) is to use a soft plastic tub with lid that actually had a mushroom sauce for steak in it. Pop a bit of powder in, pop in the feeders and flick the bottom with your finger to almost make the powder like an aerosol.

If for any reason they are still too heavily loaded, pop them in another clean container to shake off any excess.

If you haven't already, look through the resources on this forum which should help you out a lot.

To help make sure you've got things right, fill out and post this form which will allow the community to help iron out any little issues;

Chameleon Info: ◦Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? ◦Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? ◦Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? ◦Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? ◦Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? ◦Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? ◦History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Cage Info: ◦Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? ◦Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? ◦Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? ◦Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? ◦Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? ◦Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? ◦Location - Where are you geographically located? Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. -------------- Please Note: 1The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive. 2Photos can be very helpful.

Thank you @SharpShooter. I have been really lightly dusting just in case and I will continue to do so. I appreciate the help! I will fill out that form also to see if there is anything else I can improve on.

Chameleon Info: ◦Your Chameleon -
Panther Chameleon, 3.5 months old
How long has it been in your care? 5 days
How often do you handle your chameleon? I haven't other than moving him into his cage
Feeding
What are you feeding your cham? Crickets, Dubia, Locust, Silkworm
What amount? Offering him 10 insects a day, only eating 4-5 however.
What is the schedule? Every evening
How are you gut-loading your feeders? Oranges, Spinach, Carrot, Sweet Potato and Mulberry Leaves for Silkworms
Supplements
What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Swell Calcium Dust, Komodo Livefood Booster For Chameleons and Komodo Advanced Nutri Cal
Watering
What kind of watering technique do you use? I have a dripper on a bromeliad but also misting my ficus as I can see him drinking from it.
How often and how long to you mist? Spray in the morning and evening
Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yes
Fecal Description
Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Brown, slightly wet
Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Not that I am aware
History
Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Nope
Cage Info
Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) Glass Exo terra, Mesh hood
What are the dimensions? 60cmx60cm
Lighting
What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? Arcadia T5 Pro+ 20W UVB fixture, 6% Arcadia T5 Forest Bulb and Aqua One Aquarium Light (For the plants)
What is your daily lighting schedule? UVB 12 hours a day, plant light 10 hours a day.
Temperature
What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Floor is 20 degrees Celsius, Basking spot is 28 degrees Celsius
Lowest overnight temp? 17-18 degrees Celsius
How do you measure these temps?
Heat Gun and Digital Thermometer
Humidity
What are your humidity levels? Brief spikes to 90%+ after misting but usually sits around 50%
How are you creating and maintaining these levels? Spraying twice a day
What do you use to measure humidity? Digital hygrometer
Plants
Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes, Ficus Benjamina, Bromeliad sp., Chlorophytum amaniense, Epipremnum aureum, Monstera deliciosa and monstera obliqua
Placement
Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? On my Desk which is in the corner of the room, quiet only me there
At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Roughly 1.5m off the ground.
Where are you geographically located? London, England
Current Problem
The current problem you are concerned about. I am not too worried about anything in particular, just wanted to make sure I was feeding correctly.

3FD349A4-65E8-4365-9EAB-7238B969C31F - Copy.jpeg
7B383C67-DEE2-4D2C-9186-05389AF2C129 - Copy.jpeg

p.s photos taken before he was moved into enclosure upon arrival

Chameleon Info: ◦Your Chameleon -
Panther Chameleon, 3.5 months old
How long has it been in your care? 5 days
How often do you handle your chameleon? I haven't other than moving him into his cage
Feeding
What are you feeding your cham? Crickets, Dubia, Locust, Silkworm
What amount? Offering him 10 insects a day, only eating 4-5 however.
What is the schedule? Every evening
How are you gut-loading your feeders? Oranges, Spinach, Carrot, Sweet Potato and Mulberry Leaves for Silkworms
Supplements
What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Swell Calcium Dust, Komodo Livefood Booster For Chameleons and Komodo Advanced Nutri Cal
Watering
What kind of watering technique do you use? I have a dripper on a bromeliad but also misting my ficus as I can see him drinking from it.
How often and how long to you mist? Spray in the morning and evening
Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yes
Fecal Description
Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Brown, slightly wet
Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Not that I am aware
History
Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Nope
Cage Info
Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) Glass Exo terra, Mesh hood
What are the dimensions? 60cmx60cm
Lighting
What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? Arcadia T5 Pro+ 20W UVB fixture, 6% Arcadia T5 Forest Bulb and Aqua One Aquarium Light (For the plants)
What is your daily lighting schedule? UVB 12 hours a day, plant light 10 hours a day.
Temperature
What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Floor is 20 degrees Celsius, Basking spot is 28 degrees Celsius
Lowest overnight temp? 17-18 degrees Celsius
How do you measure these temps?
Heat Gun and Digital Thermometer
Humidity
What are your humidity levels? Brief spikes to 90%+ after misting but usually sits around 50%
How are you creating and maintaining these levels? Spraying twice a day
What do you use to measure humidity? Digital hygrometer
Plants
Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes, Ficus Benjamina, Bromeliad sp., Chlorophytum amaniense, Epipremnum aureum, Monstera deliciosa and monstera obliqua
Placement
Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? On my Desk which is in the corner of the room, quiet only me there
At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Roughly 1.5m off the ground.
Where are you geographically located? London, England
Current Problem
The current problem you are concerned about. I am not too worried about anything in particular, just wanted to make sure I was feeding correctly.

View attachment 222183
View attachment 222184

p.s photos taken before he was moved into enclosure upon arrival
Are you planning a cage upgrade as he gets older? 60x60cm footprint is too small. Well done on the rest.

Are you planning a cage upgrade as he gets older? 60x60cm footprint is too small. Well done on the rest.

Thank you. Yeah for sure! I would have preferred a larger one from the start but he is so tiny and since he is my first one I felt I could monitor him easier in this size. Long term is a 90x60cm enclosure larger enough?

Thank you. Yeah for sure! I would have preferred a larger one from the start but he is so tiny and since he is my first one I felt I could monitor him easier in this size. Long term is a 90x60cm enclosure larger enough?
If you want to stick to exo terra, you'll be needing the X Wide X Tall for a male. Other than that, bigger, taller is going to be better.

If you want to stick to exo terra, you'll be needing the X Wide X Tall for a male. Other than that, bigger, taller is going to be better.

I don’t mind going for a different brand, I just went with this Exo Terra as it was the ideal starter. I do have more than enough space on my desk for even bigger than 90x90. What other brands do you recommend that do larger terrariums big enough?

I don’t mind going for a different brand, I just went with this Exo Terra as it was the ideal starter. I do have more than enough space on my desk for even bigger than 90x90. What other brands do you recommend that do larger terrariums big enough?
I love the Exo Terra's BUT, all mine are used for bioactive setups. The biggest issue is drainage and being left with standing water that can't easily be removed.

If I didn't do bioactive, I would have gone with screen and top of the list would have been Dragon Strand. There are plenty of other screen enclosures around but unless you have issues with temperatures in the room where your chams are, or, are doing bioactive, screen is probably the better option.

Also bear in mind for chams, substrates should not be used, unless in a bioactive setup and a plain glass floor is not attractive.

As for size, bigger is of course better but the recommended MINIMUM for an adult panther is 45cm x 45 cm x 90cm.

If you haven't already, take a look at all the relevant info in the resources section on here. It's a really good starting point and unlike shops where new folk usually get chams/setups from, are not just after your cash!

I love the Exo Terra's BUT, all mine are used for bioactive setups. The biggest issue is drainage and being left with standing water that can't easily be removed.

If I didn't do bioactive, I would have gone with screen and top of the list would have been Dragon Strand. There are plenty of other screen enclosures around but unless you have issues with temperatures in the room where your chams are, or, are doing bioactive, screen is probably the better option.

Also bear in mind for chams, substrates should not be used, unless in a bioactive setup and a plain glass floor is not attractive.

As for size, bigger is of course better but the recommended MINIMUM for an adult panther is 45cm x 45 cm x 90cm.

If you haven't already, take a look at all the relevant info in the resources section on here. It's a really good starting point and unlike shops where new folk usually get chams/setups from, are not just after your cash!

Thank you very much for all your help @SharpShooter, I really appreciate it! His 60x60x60cm Exo Terra is currently bio active, as I have used the same technique before for my Brazilian Rainbow Boa. In that case I will most likely stick to Exo Terra and get the largest size I possibly can, as I would probably move him into another bio active setup.

I have also created a permanent free roam area on my desk with some vines and a couple of Ficus and he has loved it. He was cautious for the first couple of days but he is now constantly coming out and patrolling even when I am on my desk moving about working. He even chooses to sleep outside the enclosure now in one of the ficus and returns back to the enclosure to bask when the lights come on.

I always felt he was slightly light on feeding and only ever took 2-3 crickets a day out of a cup, however since becoming more confident outside the enclosure with me around him he allows me to feed him using forceps and now powers through 6-8 crickets a day. I just assume he has become more confident with me being around and realised I am no danger :D

I have only had this guy for 12 days and I can't get enough! Chameleons have so much more personality than any reptile I have kept before!

Back
Top Bottom