how much to feed how to lower humidity and what is the best bulb for basking spot to create proper heat..

jackthejellydragon

Avid Member
My male veiled kiwi is about 7 months old and I have been wondering how much to feed him. Right now I have been feeding him 2 to three discoids about 3/4 inches in width 5 or 6 BSFL and if I have moths I will do 2 or three of those and only 3 or 4 BSFL And about 1 super a week if not any and1 hornworm pretty much every other meal but since I am in the middle of trust building I sometimes give him once every day.But everyone wants a little snack sometimes so he likes it.:ROFLMAO: His humidity is always about 52 to 60 which is a bit high so how can I get it down. I mist for 2 minutes twice a day once in the morning and once at night. I also have a dehumidifier because I thought it would help but It only lowered the humidity by 1 or 2.:confused: His basking spot is about 80 to 82 and I want to get it up without burning him. I currently have a 50 watt bulb.

My male veiled kiwi is about 7 months old and I have been wondering how much to feed him. Right now I have been feeding him 2 to three discoids about 3/4 inches in width 5 or 6 BSFL and if I have moths I will do 2 or three of those and only 3 or 4 BSFL And about 1 super a week if not any and1 hornworm pretty much every other meal but since I am in the middle of trust building I sometimes give him once every day.But everyone wants a little snack sometimes so he likes it.:ROFLMAO: His humidity is always about 52 to 60 which is a bit high so how can I get it down. I mist for 2 minutes twice a day once in the morning and once at night. I also have a dehumidifier because I thought it would help but It only lowered the humidity by 1 or 2.:confused: His basking spot is about 80 to 82 and I want to get it up without burning him. I currently have a 50 watt bulb.
Do you weigh him? At 7 months feed around 5-7 small feeders every other day. You cant get a high wattage bulb, dont move up his basking branch. I have a 60watt and my basking branch is 9in away and i have a temp of around 85. Humidity can be lowered by turning off your lights after you mist, water+heat= humidity.

Do you weigh him? At 7 months feed around 5-7 small feeders every other day. You cant get a high wattage bulb, dont move up his basking branch. I have a 60watt and my basking branch is 9in away and i have a temp of around 85. Humidity can be lowered by turning off your lights after you mist, water+heat= humidity.
yeah I don't weigh him because he would get pretty freacked out because we aren't greatly bonded yet. I wasn't saying I was going to raise his branch though I meant when I said ''get it up'' I meant get the temp up but your good we make mistakes sometimes??. Thanks for the recommendation on the lights off during misting definitely will do that.?

Last edited:
What are you using to measure the humidity? How many total feeders are you feeding and how often?

I believe I use the same one as you. I use the therm pro. I have been feeding him 2 or 3 discoids about 1/2 to 3/4 inches in width 5 or 6 BSFL
but if i have waxmoths I only use 3 BSFL and 3 moths 1 super a week and 1 hornworm every other day but sometimes 1 a day. I do all that daily except for the supers and hornworm.

IMG_3563.jpg

I believe I use the same one as you. I use the therm pro. I have been feeding him 2 or 3 discoids about 1/2 to 3/4 inches in width 5 or 6 BSFL
but if i have waxmoths I only use 3 BSFL and 3 moths 1 super a week and 1 hornworm every other day but sometimes 1 a day. I do all that daily except for the supers and hornworm.

View attachment 279035
ok so your doing about 9 feeders every day? If he is 7 months I would kick him to an every other day feeding schedule now. Working him down to 5 feeders each feeding by the time he hits 9 months. Then at 12 months you will drop this back to 3 feeders every other day.

Your humidity is a tad high but as long as you have proper air flow it is fine. :)

Back
Top Bottom