How much to feed a male veiled camillion

My 8 month old male veiled camillion is not eating as much as he use too I noticed he might eat 2 Lg Dubias or 4 Lg crickets everyday or every other day. Is this enough or maybe the Lg ones are too big and that's why hes not touching them? Also am I suppose to be feeding him veggies too? And how do u get a camillion eat veggies? He never eats any thing but the two insects above.

My 8 month old male veiled camillion is not eating as much as he use too I noticed he might eat 2 Lg Dubias or 4 Lg crickets everyday or every other day. Is this enough or maybe the Lg ones are too big and that's why hes not touching them? Also am I suppose to be feeding him veggies too? And how do u get a camillion eat veggies? He never eats any thing but the two insects above.
Hi and welcome! As chameleons get older, they do regulate their appetites and it’s fine and actually preferred to feed an adult every other day. The rule of thumb for feeder size is anything bigger than the space between the eyes is too big. Veiled’s don’t need to eat anything other than live bugs. They will nibble at their plants and some occasionally like a treat of fresh greens or a piece of fruit. My ladies (and now my little boy) seem to enjoy blueberries, so once every now and then I give them a cut up berry or two.
I saw your other post about your cham being hissy. That is pretty normal. Male or female, they are mostly grumpy. There are ways to build trust though, mainly thru food. Start slow with cup feeding. Slowly offer him a cup of bugs. When he starts to associate you and your hand with yummies, you can then try offering a bug on your hand. Mine find it less threatening if I put it on the back of my hand. As time goes and trust is built, you can slowly start placing the big further up your arm so he eventually has to walk on your hand to get it. It takes time, but isn’t impossible. I use silkworms for hand feeding as they tend to pretty much stay on my hand. Avoiding eye contact also helps...I look away completely. Keep your movements slow and hopefully your enclosure is high enough so that he is above you, looking down. Attaching feeder graphics for you. If you’d like, you could have your husbandry reviewed by someone, just to make sure everything is correct. Cut and paste on a new thread. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/
B9B6EA94-BD27-4237-B210-30AA29C7BB43.jpeg

Hi and welcome! As chameleons get older, they do regulate their appetites and it’s fine and actually preferred to feed an adult every other day. The rule of thumb for feeder size is anything bigger than the space between the eyes is too big. Veiled’s don’t need to eat anything other than live bugs. They will nibble at their plants and some occasionally like a treat of fresh greens or a piece of fruit. My ladies (and now my little boy) seem to enjoy blueberries, so once every now and then I give them a cut up berry or two.
I saw your other post about your cham being hissy. That is pretty normal. Male or female, they are mostly grumpy. There are ways to build trust though, mainly thru food. Start slow with cup feeding. Slowly offer him a cup of bugs. When he starts to associate you and your hand with yummies, you can then try offering a bug on your hand. Mine find it less threatening if I put it on the back of my hand. As time goes and trust is built, you can slowly start placing the big further up your arm so he eventually has to walk on your hand to get it. It takes time, but isn’t impossible. I use silkworms for hand feeding as they tend to pretty much stay on my hand. Avoiding eye contact also helps...I look away completely. Keep your movements slow and hopefully your enclosure is high enough so that he is above you, looking down. Attaching feeder graphics for you. If you’d like, you could have your husbandry reviewed by someone, just to make sure everything is correct. Cut and paste on a new thread. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/
View attachment 270162
Thank u thanks thank u MissSkittles. You were more than helpful it means alot for u to answer my questions and u taking the time to write me back so thouraly. DINO 4242

Back
Top Bottom