how much should a jackson eat?

winters24

hello all!
for my Christmas present I got a lovely Jackson male, who is at least 6 months old. My mom got him for me and unfortunately she used a web sight that was horrible. He was shipped poorly and by regular mail instead of overnight (she paid overnight shipping). However he does have bright coloring and his body condition is good. Anyway He is drinking on his own and has eaten a few meal worms and a few crickets since Friday and HAS NOT defecated . Today he has not eaten anything or really moved around but he did drink after I started the dripper. I heard Jacksons are harder then veilds and panthers (which I have both of). and are also more "sensitive". I have provided plants and vines in his cage for him to hide away but currently he is just hanging out in the vine out in the open. both of my other kids are very aggressive eaters and move around the cage constantly and given my new guys ruff shipment I am worried about him. So any input would be great :) . Here is a description of his housing:
Screen cage (extra large), basking light, uvb hood (desert uvb) two vines weaved through a palm plant (I got it from Lowes and have the same kind for my other two and they are not poisonous). I also have some fake plastic vines. I use a dripper twice a day and mist him with a repti fogger. I have offered him meal worms and crickets so far, but I do have medium tropical roaches I could offer him if anyone is thinking that would help? I only offered meal worms because they stay put in a deep dish and don't move quickly. All 3 of my chams are in different parts of the house and can not see each other.

Jax can be more difficult because they are a montane species and require different aspects to their husbandry. What are your temps at in the cage? Also, the "desert UVB" may be a little much for him...especially since it is a compact fluorescent style bulb. When your mom ordered him, was he listed as captive bred or wild caught? Regardless though, I would have a fecal done. I would also switch out those meal worms with superworms. Can you post a pic of him? Congratulations on the new arrival by the way!

Repti-foggers don't do much in the way of misting. He needs to be misted by an actual mister, something like a mistking or a hand mister, repti-foggers just keep up humidity, they don't do anything to stimulate drinking, which is one of the main reasons for misting. Also Jackson chameleon's need to be misted at least 4 times a day for at least 2 minutes at a time. They need high humidity but they also need to drink. Misting with something that will make leaves drip with water is extremely important.

I'm surprised that Jackson's need so much humidity. I'm in Kenya (there are lots of wild J's in the garden) and really, it's not that humid! The same as England or France, really. And in December it may rain twice a week, during the night, when they're not going to be drinking...

thank you for the help! he is drinking when I put the dripper down and likes to soak in it. I did not see him eating today but from what I have been reading they don't seem like they are big eaters or that they cruise around the cage a ton. I will look into a mist system, but for now I will just use a spray bottle :) he is such a different personality from my veild and panther but he is great!

Jackson's don't eat as much as Veileds do. Some days they may pig out, then there may be days when they show no interest in food what so ever and that's because they have a slower metabolism than Veildeds do, due to the lower temps they like.

Vinyonga, I think from what I understand on reading up on the jacksons from Kenya, that they are actually more widespread in Kenya, I think it's because of the subspecies of jackson it is. The type of jackson that is mainly found in Kenya is the xantholophus which is a more forgiving species. Also I think the younger ones need more of high humidity and forested area so the adults are more likely the ones to be found wandering. though I am not sure on this.

I'm surprised that Jackson's need so much humidity. I'm in Kenya (there are lots of wild J's in the garden) and really, it's not that humid! The same as England or France, really. And in December it may rain twice a week, during the night, when they're not going to be drinking...
twice a week is alot. in some places it doesn´t rain at all under several months.

have you gone out and get the % of humidity outside with a reliable meter?

Back
Top Bottom