how much is enough for a 2 month old

fubekka

Hey everyone,

i was just wondering how many crickets the little one should be eating daily. Yesterday saw him eat about 5 with 1 mealworm, I just want him to be eating enough.
Thanks

I'm going to assume you have a panther ir a veiled? I would offer food twice a day, and whatever he doesn't eat in a few minutes you remove. A baby should have a decent amount of well gutloaded and supplemented food. I wouldn't offer mealworms too often. Maybe add some fruit flies to the mix, some baby cockroaches, small silk and hornworms, etc. Variety is important. Plus it's easier to get babies to eat all kinds of foods than it is to get stubborn adults to.

It depends a little on the size of the feeders. Obviously, the smaller the feeder the more of them you have to offer to get the same about of net food in them. But around 10 feeders is good. It's what I usually go by with my little ones and they grow slowly and well.

I assume you just got your cham? Congrats on the little guy :)

Thanks guys, my only worry is that the enclosure i have him in gives crix a lot of hiding room, and he's not so good at hunting yet. Reptarium gets here Tuesday!!

i would feed about 5-10 small crickets
10 is sort of alot, so go with a maximum of 6-8.

give him that much about 2x a day.

remember it is fine if he doesnt have food for a day or 2!:p as long as you give him water!:)

I give babies as much as they can eat within 5 minutes, two or three times per day. The total for the day might be around 10 bugs, but as previously noted it depends on the size and type of bug. The mass of a fruit fly could be quite different from that of a cricket or silkworm.

How are you guys feeding him? My guy never seems to eat, I don't know if he's bad at hunting or what. He's 2 months old, and crickets will run right in front of his face and he won't eat them... I don't get it

Is there something wrong with your husbandry? Don't let the crickets walk all over him if he's not eating. They could bite him. Have you tried other foods yet?

sounds like you should try & let him relax for a day or 2. how long have you had him? does he eat regularly? how ofthen does he poop? is he drinking? sometimes a chameleon wont eat if someone is watching. Also, they are opportunistic eaters. which is why people give them whatever they can eat in 5 minutes, 2 or 3 times a day. put 3 to 5 in depending on the size, leave him for 5 minutes take out whatever crickets arent eaten by the time 5 minutes has passed.

I just got some reptiworms today, he loves them, he ate three right away. He also had a medium sized mealworm and two or three crickets, so I think we're good. I just got him in his new cage and so i'll let you guys know if I have any more questions. Thanks you all!

Back
Top Bottom