How much does a chameleon cost - YouTube video

Gingero

Neptune the Chameleon
Site Sponsor
Today we’re going to talk about money. How much does it cost to have a chameleon as a pet? This video is going to give you an estimate of the cost that is needed to properly take care of a chameleon. There is some variation in cost because you can shop the sales or go for the higher end products.

*I forgot to mention that if you have a female, you’ll also need to provide her a laybin bucket/container as well as dirt/sand for her to lay her eggs in. I’d guess that would cost around $30.*

As much as a bug breeder like me likes to have people buy bugs from them regularly, I can't help, but say, start your own roach colonies! It's soooo easy. Literally, they thrive on neglect(the ones we generally use as feeders, there are most definitely sensitive and tricky roach species). They aren't going to infest. Really, their only downside is the stigma of what they are, cockroaches. Once you get past that(I was freaked out by them too), and you will if you work with them often and see how harmless they are, you will save tons of hassle and money. Your cham will also be benefiting from an extremely nutritious staple.

My post is in no way attacking the video, just throwing that out there for anyone concerned about paying for feeders. The real trouble is electric bills! All those lights add up. Vet Bill's come in if you're very unlucky early on, have bad husbandry, or have an old animal. Definitely another thing to account for down the road.

I’ve considered breeding my own dubias. But Neptune is still eating the dubia roaches I got for him when he was a baby haha. Most of the feeders I buy are the novelty things like BSFL, hornworms, blue bottle fly spikes, etc.

Good point with the electric bill. I haven’t noticed too much of an increase in my electric bill, but it’s still an additional cost.

I’ve considered breeding my own dubias. But Neptune is still eating the dubia roaches I got for him when he was a baby haha. Most of the feeders I buy are the novelty things like BSFL, hornworms, blue bottle fly spikes, etc.

Good point with the electric bill. I haven’t noticed too much of an increase in my electric bill, but it’s still an additional cost.
I want to have a colony of every bug Uncle Sneaky Castroo likes, but living with my parents, they hate bugs. Eventually I'll have a whole colony of everything. They'll be so happy, till they get grubbed on.

My electric bill sure has taken a hit, but I heat my garage, heat my bug room, and have had 5 chameleons and other animals so it all adds up. With 1 animal it's probably not too bad, but how many of us actually keep it to one haha.

My electric bill sure has taken a hit, but I heat my garage, heat my bug room, and have had 5 chameleons and other animals so it all adds up. With 1 animal it's probably not too bad, but how many of us actually keep it to one haha.
5 reptiles and 10+ bug colonies, my energy bill definitely has taken a hit. Hubby is asking for a bearded dragon now since I have 5 reptiles and he has none lol I mean I let him help me name them isn’t that enough

My energy bill is the least of my worries! Have to hide the receipts and packages from my husband. I sat down at one point to calculate what I’ve spent thus far on the chams, feeders, and cham stuff.... really wish i didnt do that. #depressed

James is spot on - start your own bug colonies! Its a bit of effort and upfront expense, but it ends up being convenient, higher quality, and inexpensive in the long run... especially if you have multiple animals

My energy bill is the least of my worries! Have to hide the receipts and packages from my husband. I sat down at one point to calculate what I’ve spent thus far on the chams, feeders, and cham stuff.... really wish i didnt do that. #depressed
Omg never sit down and add up,That’s asking for a gallon of ic cream to be eaten.

I encourage a like bit of forging here and there, helps with costs. Yeah ppl look at you weird as you take magnolia pods but hey I’m not paying $10 for 10 leaves

Last edited:
I don’t even want to know how much I’ve spent! Just took the lazy way out and bought a new enclosure for Stella rather than convert the cabinet I bought (will get to once my garage is clear) and it’s been buy buy buy just to get the basics. She seems to be enjoying her bigger home though...was always a muddy color and now she’s let her beautiful greens show.

I don’t even want to know how much I’ve spent! Just took the lazy way out and bought a new enclosure for Stella rather than convert the cabinet I bought (will get to once my garage is clear) and it’s been buy buy buy just to get the basics. She seems to be enjoying her bigger home though...was always a muddy color and now she’s let her beautiful greens show.

That's the best feeling to see them explore more and show more color after an upgrade. *happy reptile mom moment*

Back
Top Bottom