How Much Do I actually have to feed a veilied

PickleKing23

Ive read up on how much to feed them but no websites seem very clear, some say 10 crickets every other day, 5 crickets every day, as much as they will eat in 30-45 minutes. And then what if you give them something other than crickets? Do I lower the amount of crickets based on the nutrition of the other food or just by a number?

You can feed it as much as it will eat in a couple of minutes at each feeding and leave a cricket or two in its cage for a snack later. Make sure the insects are a good size to fit in its mouth.

Once it's older (6 to 8 months) you can cut the feedings down to once every 2 or 3 days....and of course the size of the insects can increase as the chameleon grows. You want to feed it enough to grow to maturity without making it fat.

Once it's full grown, you can cut back so that it doesn't get fat but doesn't get thin...about 8 to10 crickets or equal amount/volume of other insects. Variety is a good thing!

This isn't an exact science...just like people some need more than others to maintain their weight.

Do you know about feeding/gutloading your insects? You want to feed the insects well so the chameleon gets healthy food.

Do you know about supplementing/dusting the insects too?

Last edited:
Hi there when they are young say under 6 months you want to feed 15 ish feeders every day. When they hit about 6-7 months you will notice him curb back to about 10-12 a day. Then when he hits 9 months you want to start reducing by say two feeders every other day so that within a month he is totally on an every other day feeding. Then give him say 6 feeders every other day by 10 months old... their growth starts slowing then you base how much you feed by their size and if they start holding fat in their casque. Hope that helps and welcome to the forum. Here is the caresheet for your boy and there is a ton of info under the resources section https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

How do I know its age? Also is that 10-12 small or medium?
Post pics of your guy. We can’t give an exact of course but an appropriate guess. Size of feeders depends on the size of your Cham. They should not be wider then the space between your boys eyes.

As I said above...
You can feed it as much as it will eat in a couple of minutes at each feeding and leave a cricket or two in its cage for a snack later. Make sure the insects are a good size to fit in its mouth.

This will work until it's a few months old...but you don't know the age so...can you post a recent photo of it on something that we will know the size of please so we can see how big it is??

Back
Top Bottom