How many showers is too many showers?

I give Ryker a shower once a day at the moment, but it's because I know for sure he will drink in there without worry and he cleans his eyes well in it. The thing is he doesn't mind being bothered as much as other chams can. He may get a bit huffy when I first push him onto my hand but that's because he often is rather blind until his shower because he needs to rinse his eyes before he opens them at all and then sees some larger objects. He's definitely a special case.

No he just finished shedding. He just has a little patch on his tail, on his spine, and sides of his face. But the big body shed is done I believe. I gave him a shower last night but he didn't drink. Instead he cleaned his eyes then went to a spot away from the water and curled up his tail. But when I finally put him back in his cage THATS when he started seeming like he was thirsty. So I misted some of the leaves near him because it was basically bed time and I didn't want to wet his whole cage but he never drank.
Little trouble maker! My go to's for chameleons not drinking is: 1) Water them when they are on a plant outside in the sunlight. The glistening water drops makes them thirsty! 2) long mistings - long mistings will often make them drink. 3) comfy warm water for mistings. Good luck!

I manually water my 2 every few days to make sure they do drink. Usually after feeding i will hold a spray bottle up to their mouth and slowly pump it so it makes one drop at a time at the tip and touch the water drop to their mouth.. they look at me for a while but then they usually drink and I slowly pump more droplets to the tip. They use to get mad at the bottle.. haha so i use to use q-tips and dip it in a bowl of water and put the droplets to their mouths.. once they got over the scary spray bottle they were fine and its less back and forth at them too. I also give them chopped up strawberries, melon and such in a small glass bowl and that helps hydrate as well. :)
Occasionally my male will have a slight orange in urates every so often and someone said that the Rapashy Vitamin powder can cause that. Which makes sense because when it gets wet its really orange.
Good luck!

@CharlieCharmingo how is Toni ? Has he decided it's a better idea to Hydrate ?

He pooped yesterday and it had a bit more water to it. But I still haven't seen him drinking only seeing him look as if he wants to drink. So I did a deep cleaning of his cage, plants, and dropper hoping he's just acting like the cat (won't eat food if it fell on the floor), and thinks he's cage is too filthy. Idk. But I've started misting longer. Secured the dropper to a plastic leaf that I tie wrapped down to keep from moving. Practicing being more hygienic with his cage (not that I wasn't so we're clear, just trying to better it?). And so today is day one with this practice and I'm hoping to see the boy drink once again. Also I haven't seen anymore saliva come out of his mouth. Still no whistling, clicking, noise that I can hear. He's still active. Oh also and though Tony is hating me for it, I've been keeping him in his cage more hoping being confined will inspire him too.

I manually water my 2 every few days to make sure they do drink. Usually after feeding i will hold a spray bottle up to their mouth and slowly pump it so it makes one drop at a time at the tip and touch the water drop to their mouth.. they look at me for a while but then they usually drink and I slowly pump more droplets to the tip. They use to get mad at the bottle.. haha so i use to use q-tips and dip it in a bowl of water and put the droplets to their mouths.. once they got over the scary spray bottle they were fine and its less back and forth at them too. I also give them chopped up strawberries, melon and such in a small glass bowl and that helps hydrate as well. :)
Occasionally my male will have a slight orange in urates every so often and someone said that the Rapashy Vitamin powder can cause that. Which makes sense because when it gets wet its really orange.
Good luck!

I did do that like let him drink from the spray bottle or hose but one time he had a bad reaction. I think maybe he swallowed to fast/it was my fault and it really scared me so I stopped doing that. But I didn't know that about the rapashy vitamin having an effect on their urates. I will definitely look into this the next time I dust with it. But you're right it does turn orange when wet.

Little trouble maker! My go to's for chameleons not drinking is: 1) Water them when they are on a plant outside in the sunlight. The glistening water drops makes them thirsty! 2) long mistings - long mistings will often make them drink. 3) comfy warm water for mistings. Good luck!

Thanks Matt! Once again you give out great advice.

He pooped yesterday and it had a bit more water to it. But I still haven't seen him drinking only seeing him look as if he wants to drink. So I did a deep cleaning of his cage, plants, and dropper hoping he's just acting like the cat (won't eat food if it fell on the floor), and thinks he's cage is too filthy. Idk. But I've started misting longer. Secured the dropper to a plastic leaf that I tie wrapped down to keep from moving. Practicing being more hygienic with his cage (not that I wasn't so we're clear, just trying to better it?). And so today is day one with this practice and I'm hoping to see the boy drink once again. Also I haven't seen anymore saliva come out of his mouth. Still no whistling, clicking, noise that I can hear. He's still active. Oh also and though Tony is hating me for it, I've been keeping him in his cage more hoping being confined will inspire him too.
Little stinker !!!. Frances I have to have long misting sessions if there to fast she won't drink , but she has always been that way . I hear you there Septiceye had to stay in his enclosure today he kept going to naughty places . I hope the longer sessions encourage tony to hydrate . Happy to hear no more saliva .

How do you know hes not just drinking when you leave?

Be careful about spraying water in their mouths, I used to do this until I learned that their airway is in the front of their mouth under the tongue. Very easy to get water in their lungs which could lead to all sorts of problems.

IMG_6248.PNG
How do you know hes not just drinking when you leave?

Be careful about spraying water in their mouths, I used to do this until I learned that their airway is in the front of their mouth under the tongue. Very easy to get water in their lungs which could lead to all sorts of problems.

He very well could be but it's abnormal for him. He usually drinks right at spray time. But I know a lot of the times he's not drinking because I'll leave and be gone for hours or an hour at a time and when I come to check on him he's in the exact same spot and won't "get active" again until I come in the room for a little while. Idk. It's hard to explain. But you know how everyone knows their chameleons personality? It's one of those feeling.

But huzza! The sweet boy started drinking on his own again. He's doing it right now! Thanks guys for all your help, advice, support,kind words. Tony probably doesn't care but I appreciate it and i appreciate you!

IMG_6249.PNG

In hind sight he probably stopped drinking in front of me because I turn into so psychotic photo taker/invader of privacy lol. But I mean look how cute he is. It's unbearable.

Back
Top Bottom