how many lights?

taybow

im getting a four month old chameleon and i was wondering how many 24" 5.0 uvb flor tubes do i need? should i get one or two for my 24x24x48 screen cage.

also what basking light would be best? ive read lots of different suggestions from many sites.

and since its getting cold here in illinois now should i think of getting one of the moonlight heat lights for the night? (because its getting cold im waiting on ordering my cham until tempatures rises. im ordering my cham from flchamss btw)

im getting a four month old chameleon and i was wondering how many 24" 5.0 uvb flor tubes do i need? should i get one or two for my 24x24x48 screen cage.

also what basking light would be best? ive read lots of different suggestions from many sites.

and since its getting cold here in illinois now should i think of getting one of the moonlight heat lights for the night? (because its getting cold im waiting on ordering my cham until tempatures rises. im ordering my cham from flchamss btw)

1 reptisun 5.0 linear tube.
and 1 regular household bulb (incandescent light bulb) is good enough for heat.
no night light necessary except if the room temp drop below 60 F.

well ....i keep lots of chams so ...i would definatly get a repti sun strip bulb i by Zoo Med but a 10.0 for a yemans cham are better than a 5.0 due to the fact that they come from pretty hot sunny areas of the world and love the sun and love to bask in it ,also if its a screen viv it will filter out some of the u.v so a 5.0 wont be quite as good , you will need at least 1 mounted along the top of the viv but make sure he can reach with 6 inches of it via climbing areas , or mount it verticaly down the back of the viv so he can get u.v where ever he goes, and he will need a basking bulb which should be mounted on the top , a 60 watt household spot bulb or a repti spot bulb should be good enough ..but use a higher wattage if needed to get the temperature right (ambient air should be about 80F for a yemans measured in the middle of the viv). make sure you provide a dripper for his water and mist him twice a day so he can drink , and turn all lights and heat off at night so he can sleep properly. good luck with him!!:p

5.0 is the recommended strength by chameleon keepers unless you are using a large cage or a dark mesh reptarium. 10.0's can be too strong for babies.

as above...this is true with most chams but i have always used a 10.0 and i have never had any probs with any of my yemans chams at all , infact smartie my big boy is the brightest creamy yelow and lovely pale green i have ever seen in a yemans cham and he is never ever brown or dull coloured, he is active and well hydrated and is in top nic and i used a 10.0 all his life, i guess it depends on the keeper, but defo use a 10 if your using a dark screened mesh viv as mentioned above. up to you i guess at the end of the day. i use normaly use the 5.0 for montain chams like jacksons /quaads/two horn,and stump tails and the 10.0 for yemans, and other high sun chams.but remember to use a spot so he can bask or if in a hot area put him outside for a while (supervized and water dripper is recomended!!) as yemans are sun lovers so he will love that!!!!

If you are using a reptarium, you can use a 10.0, otherwise, stick with a 5.0. This is true for all arboreal chameleons, Veileds included.

Be sure that your basking temp doesn't go above about 87 degrees, he is still young and high temps can harm him. I've found that a temperature gradient from the basking spot (87 or so) to the mid 70s is pretty comfortable for veileds. And no night bulb is necessary or recommended.

Back
Top Bottom