HOW MANY DUBIAS or roaches a week for an adult panther

Franquixote

Established Member
Been posting about trying to rehome but I overthink thing a lot. How many breeding size - not biggest possible, but adult/breeding size (med?) dubias a week should an adult male panther eat?
My chameleon (about 350 grams) does not look skinny and I am gutloading to extremes- but is it possible that he could only need like 2 med/large dubias a week?
Sometimes I throw in orange heads instead, but same deal.
His last poop looked small but hydrated.
He will definitely eat 5X as much if I indulge him on hornworms and silks, but for maintenance would it be absurd to think he should only eat like 1 decent sized roach every 3 days?
This is driving me crazy.

Hey, so my adult Panthers eat about the equivelant of 1 large roach every 3 days. They don't eat a whole lot out of their own choosing though. I rotate one day will be bee pollen covered BSFL and they'll eat about 10 each. Then 3 days later I give them maybe a superworm and a roach with calcium. 3 days after might be several isopods, and so on.

Not sure how much that helps, but from my experience, it seems like 1 large roach every 3 days would do the trick if that's what you're asking.

hornworms and silks are bags of water with a protein shell, they are very low calorie. Thats why they can eat a ton of them.

But yea mine eats 3 females or 5-6 males a week at best.

adult cricket = .25g
male adult dubia = 1.50g
female adult dubia = 3.00g
adult superworm = .50g

This puts an entirely new light on things.
So- considering the bugs are gut loaded to a pretty absurd level, I hand select only the fattest ones, and he IS eating at least 3 a week of these "staples" (he either gets an orange head or dubia, whichever looks perfect size and fattest)
PLUS
he gets at least 3-4 "treats" a week (hornworms) and I am dusting with a lot of thought involved
MAYBE
everything is just fine?
I was thinking he should be eating at least 1-2 decent sized roaches at least 5 days a week, but considering he isn't looking skinny, has normal feces, and all that maybe I shouldn't worry about all this?!

I would say your feeding schedule is great (y). The roaches provide the protein and majority of nutrients and the hornworms give a nice boost to hydration, helping to wash it all down.

To the rescue again man.... thanks.
It's about time we try to root some of that Madagascar jasmine again. You in? This will be the 6th or 7th try to get some to root.
Going to take bigger cutting this time around...

hornworms and silks are bags of water with a protein shell, they are very low calorie. Thats why they can eat a ton of them.

But yea mine eats 3 females or 5-6 males a week at best.

adult cricket = .25g
male adult dubia = 1.50g
female adult dubia = 3.00g
adult superworm = .50g
This is my kinda stuff. Love that you know the weight of what you feed. You would make a good falconer. I want my hawks eating about 50g a day depending on the type of food. Some comes off faster than others just like bugs and chams.

Whoa- you have my attention now.
I am a public school teacher with about 9 years to go before retirement, and have always wanted to get into falconry.
I am an avid traditional bowhunter in NJ. There are so few folks that will take on an apprenticeship here for falconry.
I am an amateur scientist as well with a small but decent home lab.

Falconry must be a tight knit group, I am hoping 9 years is enough time to find a mentor and learn the basics. If you have any advice on where or who to begin with, please help me find some info.
There's one woman I have seen haunting some of my more secluded bowhunting grounds with what I think is a sharp shinned. I never approached her because, well, we were both hunting and with a recurve or longbow once you are settled in the only shot at success is to keep invisible.
Amazing!

James, when you think you're going to be settled in?
I presume it'll take me at least 6-8 weeks to get rooting anyway.

Still have a tab marked on everyone else that wanted a cutting so I'll honor those requests first but for anyone else interested feel free to PM me and I will add you.
The deal is everything is free except for shipping to you. Cuttings will be sent in peat pots and specialized soil.
Matt Vanilla Gorilla is 2nd on the list, and if anyone has seen Hydee lately I am really curious whether the unrooted cuttings I sent her have survived.

Just PM'ed her again z but someone ask her to drop me a line if you see her around.

Great thread! I'll dig up the jasmine thread and send it to the top soon. This is Stephanotis floribunda.

Right now I have:
James0o0
Matt Vanilla Gorilla
Cyberlocc
Longhorn1234
CJ's Exotics
Chameleophlaged (he might have a subspecies or access to some inexpensive plants)

Hope to hear from everyone soon.

Back
Top Bottom