How many crickets of 100 die

Daddio53

I get 100 crickets at a time because the shop I use has a punch card system making it necessary to get 100 at a time. I have a cricket keeper that is supposed to support 120-135 crickets at a time, but there seem to be a lot of dead crickets in the enclosure after a night or two. On the average, how many crickets of 100 will you lose when you stock up? I keep the cricket keeper in a deep plastic enclosure because no matter how tightly buttoned up that thing is, there seem to be 4 escapees every night! I don't know how they do it, but they sure do get out. Of course the escapees become the food of the day that morning I find them out of the keeper.

not many will die if you provide them with plenty of water and food. they will die pretty fast, almost seemingly overnight, if they run out of water. I use the water crystals that you get from pet shops enriched with calcium to help gutload

They need alot of space and air cirulation also. I use a very large plastic container, 3/4 of the way up I put packing tape all the way arround.

They need alot of space and air cirulation also. I use a very large plastic container, 3/4 of the way up I put packing tape all the way arround.

Tell me what you use the packing tape for. Is it to capture escapees or is it providing extra space, or what?

not many will die if you provide them with plenty of water and food. they will die pretty fast, almost seemingly overnight, if they run out of water. I use the water crystals that you get from pet shops enriched with calcium to help gutload

i put water in a cotton ball immediately after getting them home and I take it out daily to put in a new clean one. I have about 4 of the top gutloads growing in my organic garden, so they are well fed. All I can figure is there just isn't room in the enclosure and the two feeding tubes. I usually dum out 4-5 dead crickets before a live one comes out.

packing tape is used because cricekts cant climb the smooth surface.

I see. I have a plastic enclosure, but they must be getting up on the feeding tubes and then gripping onto the air vents in the lid. Since I have them in a secondary container, which is a slippery plastic insert from an old 6 pack cooler, they are unable to get loose in the house. I just cleaned their enclosure up again, and there were only 30 or so out of 90 left alive, and four of them were too large for my chammy. I think I'monly going to buy 25-50 from now on. The shop is only a mile from my house so it'sno big deal. Thanks to everybody for your answers on this.

Back
Top Bottom