How many chameleons do you have?

In part I think it depends on you and your habits. I have had macaw for 34 years tomorrow actually, I got him when I was 17. Once I moved out of my parents, and did not have some one to trust, so did not go on vacation for more than 2 or three days for about 20 years.

That is amazing! It's awesome that you were able to be responsible for your Macaw at ages where most people can't even be responsible for themselves! I have a few friends who own parrots and they have expressed how time consuming it is!

That is amazing! It's awesome that you were able to be responsible for your Macaw at ages where most people can't even be responsible for themselves! I have a few friends who own parrots and they have expressed how time consuming it is!
It is a great deal, like a two year old that never grows up.

When people ask, I say do not get a macaw. I only know one other with a bird that long.

I have 4, a male jackson, panther and veiled. Also my new edition my sweet female panther! She is the sweetheart out of the bunch for sure. I never handle the rest but she comes out to eat and hold her then she goes back in, kinda weird but wife has fallen in love with her because of it.

Lightning McQueen male panther
sally female panther
Jackson storm male jackson
Chickhicks male veiled
Resized_20200420_151820.jpeg

20200418_134055.jpg
20200313_165134.jpg
20200329_101503.jpg

Chickhicks is camera shy...

I have 4, a male jackson, panther and veiled. Also my new edition my sweet female panther! She is the sweetheart out of the bunch for sure. I never handle the rest but she comes out to eat and hold her then she goes back in, kinda weird but wife has fallen in love with her because of it.

Lightning McQueen male panther
sally female panther
Jackson storm male jackson
Chickhicks male

Gorgeous chameleons! I like that you have a theme to their names!!

I keep 9 female panthers and 5 male panthers at all times and an uncountable amount of babies and juveniles, they get sold, I rarely keep any, sometimes I get development pictures of my sold chams

Do you have a room devoted to them or do you live somewhere warm enough where you can keep their cages outdoors?

You definitely have self control to not keep any babies!

1 parsons chameleon, is my only reptile currently. Then 2 cats. I have Irish(born within a year) twins ages 20 months and 9 months, so that takes up a considerable amount of time. Almost 40 roach colonies, beetles, snails, katydids, superworms, isopods, and random others. I have a room for all that simce I sell feeders. As for chams, I've had 5(3 male panther, 1 female, 1 male parsons)at one point with plans for more. A lot changed though and I ended up rehoming all, but the Parsons. It did become too much of a chore for me, but mainly because I was moving and had kids. Didn't have the space/time/money like I used to so it started to get to be too much. I've had saltwater aquariums, reptiles, amphibians, etc for the majority of my life(28 now). Found this forum after a veiled I had died when I was younger(had no clue what i was doing).

I would suggest getting different species. I got carried away with Panthers, and while I love them and still think they're cool, I found myself wishing I had gone with some more uncommon species rather than several of the same.

1 parsons chameleon, is my only reptile currently. Then 2 cats. I have Irish(born within a year) twins ages 20 months and 9 months, so that takes up a considerable amount of time. Almost 40 roach colonies, beetles, snails, katydids, superworms, isopods, and random others. I have a room for all that simce I sell feeders. As for chams, I've had 5(3 male panther, 1 female, 1 male parsons)at one point with plans for more. A lot changed though and I ended up rehoming all, but the Parsons. It did become too much of a chore for me, but mainly because I was moving and had kids. Didn't have the space/time/money like I used to so it started to get to be too much. I've had saltwater aquariums, reptiles, amphibians, etc for the majority of my life(28 now). Found this forum after a veiled I had died when I was younger(had no clue what i was doing).

I would suggest getting different species. I got carried away with Panthers, and while I love them and still think they're cool, I found myself wishing I had gone with some more uncommon species rather than several of the same.

I understand that completely. Little people change our lives in ways we can never imagine before they arrive. Time and money become resources that we use in much different ways, since we can't do whatever we want, whenever we want with either when we are responsible for the well being of our families.

It's definitely great advice to look into other varieties of chameleons. I have looked at some other species (out of curiosity), but their availability seems to be almost nonexistent. When I have seen some of the more unusual species of chameleons for sale they seem like they are available from reptile "flippers" for lack of a better term.

Parson's are fascinating (at least to me). I'm happy that you were able to find a way to keep yours!

Parsons

17 adults :p (omg im almost shy lol) also have baby so. + 9 bradypodion thamnobates and 11 hoehnelii

Awesome to see someone with some of the less talked about species. Do you have a picture of your chameleon area/s that you would be willing to share?

My limit is 6 "repties. Anymore than that and neglect sets in. You dont pay as much attention, etc. Then one gets sick and you have even less time for the rest.

On the other hand food for 6 and food for 1 is about the same if you buy in bulk :)

You have good points about neglect and buying in bulk!!!

My limit is 6 "repties. Anymore than that and neglect sets in. You dont pay as much attention, etc. Then one gets sick and you have even less time for the rest.

On the other hand food for 6 and food for 1 is about the same if you buy in bulk :)

I agree - although I’d set my limit to around 4 for the best balance, personally.

I have 8 currently, and love them to bits. However, I as Nightanole said, I am not able to spend as much time with each as I’d like. I let them free range and take them outside a lot... with 2 free ranges, I was able to let them out at least every other day. With 8 they must wait a lot longer.

I also prefer to keep them in large enclosures, which creates an issue of space. Between the cham cages, plants, and bugs, its taken over almost an entire floor of my house!

Cant say there arent other species I’d love to add... its so easy to say “well I already have the mister,” or “i have plenty of bugs and a spare cage.”

@snitz427 It's awesome that you let all 8 free range on a rotating schedule, that's dedication! Do you have photos of your chameleon space that you would be willing to share? I'm intrigued by those who have a dedicated room/floor for these amazing reptiles.

I currently have 4( about to be 6) chameleons and a leopard gecko. The gecko is the easiest to care for. I have 2 veileds, 1 panther and 1 willsii. I think I’m at my limit of chameleons for now.

I breed my own feeders so I just need to worry about buying food to gutload my insects. I also have about 11+ insect colonies to take care of. It can be a chore at times but it’s better then washing dishes

I understand that completely. Little people change our lives in ways we can never imagine before they arrive. Time and money become resources that we use in much different ways, since we can't do whatever we want, whenever we want with either when we are responsible for the well being of our families.

It's definitely great advice to look into other varieties of chameleons. I have looked at some other species (out of curiosity), but their availability seems to be almost nonexistent. When I have seen some of the more unusual species of chameleons for sale they seem like they are available from reptile "flippers" for lack of a better term.

Parson's are fascinating (at least to me). I'm happy that you were able to find a way to keep yours!

Parsons

Yup definitely, looking back before kids, I feel like I was living life on cheat mode. Things were so much simpler.

Depending on what you're looking for, there are a few breeders doing some more uncommon species.

Yup the Parsons is great, very different than my Panthers. Have a whole room dedicated to his permanent free range for winter. Then a 10 ft outdoor pvc enclosure for summer.

@snitz427 It's awesome that you let all 8 free range on a rotating schedule, that's dedication! Do you have photos of your chameleon space that you would be willing to share? I'm intrigued by those who have a dedicated room/floor for these amazing reptiles.

They are sort of dispersed around the house, along with free ranges and plants. It doesn't help that we are renovating so one room of the first floor is full of buildling materials. Arg. I'll post some photos later, when I'm not supposed to be working :p

I have two lovely lady veileds and waiting for a sweet little boy veiled and that will put me at my chameleon limit. I’d love a female panther, but that will have to wait. I also have two leopard geckos, a bearded dragon, two cats and a dog. I also have a few colonies of various feeders. I had gotten left with two aquatic turtles that stepdaughter rescued from a sad situation, and their care was just too much for me. I was fortunate in finding a beautiful rescue sanctuary for them. As I only work three days a week and my world is centered on my animals, caring for them is where I find my chosen happiness.

Back
Top Bottom