How long should i wait to breed a female after shes been shipped?

well i got them from Jim at chamco., and he said that the bigger of the two is ready to breed.And when they arrived and since then she been showing mating colors, she is 10-11 in. and i believe 6 in. s-v.Also i believe she's 6 months of age.

westcoastchameleons said:
well i got them from Jim at chamco., and he said that the bigger of the two is ready to breed.And when they arrived and since then she been showing mating colors, she is 10-11 in. and i believe 6 in. s-v.Also i believe she's 6 months of age.
is she 10-11 or is she 6 inches

In your other thread you said:

westcoastchameleons said:
Ya, and did i mention that thier only 4-5 months of age, and one is already showing breeding colors!

IMO it would be irresponsible to breed them at such a young age.

I don't agree with the "6 to 6 rule" that Jim does. Breed a chameleon at 6 months of age, and hatch an egg in 6 months, and then sell the baby from the egg claiming it can be bred at 6 months again.

I do not think it's natural for chameleons(veileds and panthers anyway) to mature and mate by six months of age. There's so many side effects to it (increased chances of MBD, increased reproductive rate, shorter lives).

I've seen veileds mate at 4-5 months of age. Many of these females are having their second clutch by 7-8 months. The increased growth rate seems to afect their reproductive rate - they just keep developing eggs and die young. Grow them slowly, so they mature at 9-12 months, and feed them lightly, and lthey'll live 5+ years, laying 2 clutches per year on average.

Of course, this is not practical for some situations.

Back
Top Bottom