How long for meds to take effect?

My 3 year old male veiled has been on Baytril and Meloxidyl for early mouth rot treatment. He's been on these meds almost a week and was wondering how long it should take to start noticing improvements. He gets 0.07ml of Baytril and 0.04ml of Meloxidyl once a day for 28 days. His behavior has not changed at all and has a good appetite. I know reptiles generally take longer to heal from things than other animals do. Just curious as to when I might start seeing improvements.

My guess would be mouth rot will be slow. Be sure to keep him well hydrated. Baytril is hard on their kidneys. I always put a little water in the syringe with the meds to help hydrate along with the misting and dripping. It's a good time to feed hornworms, too. They have allot of water to help keep them hydrated.

My guess would be mouth rot will be slow. Be sure to keep him well hydrated. Baytril is hard on their kidneys. I always put a little water in the syringe with the meds to help hydrate along with the misting and dripping. It's a good time to feed hornworms, too. They have allot of water to help keep them hydrated.
Good to know! I didn't know that about Baytril. I've been thinking about hornworms as well. I've just heard a lot about issues others have while feeding hornworms. Like they can bite the tongue or scratch the inside of the throat. So I've been a little hesitant to feed him those.

Good to know! I didn't know that about Baytril. I've been thinking about hornworms as well. I've just heard a lot about issues others have while feeding hornworms. Like they can bite the tongue or scratch the inside of the throat. So I've been a little hesitant to feed him those.
You can also inject the hornworms with the medicine then feed to your cham

As you said the healing time is longer in reptiles. One thing you need to be sure of is that the area is not getting worse. If you see anything that looks like it is getting bigger you should talk to your vet so they can consider changing antibiotics. Do you have a recheck scheduled?

As you said the healing time is longer in reptiles. One thing you need to be sure of is that the area is not getting worse. If you see anything that looks like it is getting bigger you should talk to your vet so they can consider changing antibiotics. Do you have a recheck scheduled?
The vet said they only need to see him back if things get worse. Should I schedule one just to be safe?

If you don't see some improvement over the next week I would consider it. If it's improving then you know you got the right antibiotic.

Back
Top Bottom