How is my setup, pics included

kobe24

Hey guys here is my 6 month old veiled chameleon. I have a bird cage for him cuz i couldnt afford a screen cage. Do you guys think i should put some more plants on the bottom of the cage. He usually is always hanging at the top of the cage thats why theres not much on the bottom. Also how many wax worms should i feed him a day. I heard they might be too fatty but i was jw.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 205
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 186
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 203
First thing is to get rid of the stuff on the bottem /dirt / coconut bark? just have a clean floor of the cage ,and you may get some escapies, through the sides ,and a few more plants rest looks ok, you dont want the cham . to eat the dirt can cause problems. good luck

I would remove the substrate, what is the dish in there for? And your going to find pretty much every cricket in there is going to escape and a bit more foliage wouldn't go a miss

Uterus of the substrate, what is the dish in there for? And your going to find pretty much every cricket in there is going to escape and a bit more foliage wouldn't go a miss

What does uterus of the substrate mean??? I am assuming remove it?! in which I agree!!!!

Ya im going to replace the stuff on the bottom with some paper towels. I believe its coco bark. Thanks for your reply.

I would appreciate if you dont have anything nice to say dont reply to my thread. The ppl on here are really nice and have been helping me a lot so i dont appreciate your reply. Oh and im not a retard, so i wouldnt put a bunch of crickets inside a bird cage, he gets hand fed.

may i ask how u keep his humidity up? i would think it would be hard? thats my favorite thing about live plants is that they keep it up. i like it :) the little ladders are cute :) do you hand feed him everyday?! how do you find the time! it takes my chams forever to eat one cricket lol. i guess one benefit of a bird cage is that you can buy feeder cups that would work and are made to stay in there lol. i used to use a bird feeder cup for my chams but it was too difficult to keep attached :(
anyhoo. really pretty cham, adorable setup, love the 3rd pic :D whats his name?

How is that not helping? You ask about your set up so people point out where to improve, isn't that the whole point of this site? To get help

I would appreciate if you dont have anything nice to say dont reply to my thread. The ppl on here are really nice and have been helping me a lot so i dont appreciate your reply. Oh and im not a retard, so i wouldnt put a bunch of crickets inside a bird cage, he gets hand fed.
He did not say you were a retard. He was just trying to help like everyone else and was making an observation. I don't think he meant anything by it really and you are taking it the wrong way.

Oh good because I don't mean to offend anyone, just trying to help

i agree. you asked perfectly legit questions.
i think a problem occurs on here that people jump to conclusions and bash others before getting the whole story and then we may get a troll every now and then and it puts everyone on the defense :(

I have a humidifier in my room so that helps a little but my humidity is usually pretty low at around 40%. I'm going to start misting a few times a day with warm water, I heard that helps. Ya I'm going to get a real plant to put in also. What kind of plant do you use.
Thank you I like the ladders too, he never uses them though lol. Yes I do hand feed him everyday. I like to monitor how much he eats and he snatches the food right out of my hand as soon as I put it in front of him. I haven't even thought about using feeder cups that's a good idea.
Thank you very much for the info and your kindness his name is Levi and I love him. Thanks again.

i would say same as everyone else has, take out the stuff in the bottom and add live plants.

and cant really tell from the pics if u have a dripper or not

Ok sorry, i took it the wrong way. Its easy to misinterperate things when they are typed, thanks for the help.

Thanks for the reply, i am definately going to get some live plants cuz the humidity def needs to be higher. What kind of plants do you use? Thanks

Ya trust me when I first made a post about my first cage that took me about 2 hours to do and some of the posts seemed rude but just know everyone is just trying to give good advice. I know you said the bird cage is temporary and that is good because another thing you have to worry about is him sliding down those wires and possibly losing grip and falling. Invest in a screen cage ASAP. I used a pothos with several bendy branches in my cage (large thick ones) to give him variation in height that way he can adjust his own temps as needed. Make sure you have the correct temps and spray 3-4 times a day with that live plant. He wont drink out of the water dish but will drink off of the leaves. Hand feeding is a great way to go, that is what I do but some chams are shy and may even randomly not want to.eat from your hand for a few days. A plastic deli cup is great for this with anything. With crickets though if you use the cup method you will need to pinch the Hopper legs off. Also try and switch his diet up some. Crickets are great but give him variation as well like dubia roaches, horned worms, super worms, and waxy worms. Waxy worms and super worms can be a little fatty which is not a problem but can be if that's all your feeding him. I find the easiest thing to do is get a large enough cricket carrier and dump about 100 crickets in and gutload them with a half sliced orange, brocolli, carrots, strawberries everyonce in a while. And do the same with the roaches and superworms, etc. There are great threads on gutloading here too. Also look into dusting your feeders before every feeding. I dust mine with calcium everyday and multivitamins once a week. An ideal duster to get would be Repashy Calcium Plus which gives you everything you need. Also I didn't see anything about your lighting? What is that situation? I know it may seem overwhelming but just know you are on the right track and to take advice of people who have been there in your shoes. If you have anymore questions feel free and good luck :)

Ya things can get misunderstood sometimes. Everybody is real nice on here.
I really don't have the money for a screened cage right now. I played too much blackjack last night lol. I think he is going to be ok in his bird cage for awhile. It's way better than the glass aquarium they kept him in where I got him. I felt bad for the poor guy living in such bad conditions.
I've been giving him mealy worms the passed couple days and he really loves those. As for my lighting I have a heat light, a 20 watt UVB cfl light and I just got the reptisun 5.0 UVB light. I heard it was the best light to have so I got it. I can't understand why the cfl bulb is brighter than the 30$ reptisun fluorescent bulb. I would have thought the reptisun would be brighter. Is this normal?
Thank you for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom