How is my Parson’s setup looking?

Duffield

I spent a few hours on it today and I think I’m complete. What do you think?

Attachments

• F3EC8103-CCA3-4B3C-8339-7356CFC91014.jpeg
    F3EC8103-CCA3-4B3C-8339-7356CFC91014.jpeg
    288.7 KB · Views: 210
  • 22465088-7E8F-4AA1-941F-7418D7AEB9FC.jpeg
    22465088-7E8F-4AA1-941F-7418D7AEB9FC.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 241
That enclosure looks nice. However my guidance would be to add some more branches. Calumma parsonii parsonii are fond of roaming their enclosures. Adding extra branches is going to allow more climbing space.

Just a note I have stated this in other threads. This 4x2x2 ft enclosure is only going to be good for a grow out enclosure to a sub adult Calumma parsonii parsonii. When this Parsonii that you have in the pictures reaches maturity. He/she is going to require a larger enclosure. I would say 4x4x2 ft minimum enclosure for most adult Calumma parsonii parsonii. That is depending on the phase/type of Calumma parsonii parsonii you have got.

Post more pictures of your Calumma parsonii parsonii. As well what type/phase of Calumma parsonii parsonii is your Parsonii?

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

If I'm being honest. I think it's lacking and small. These get to be giant chameleons(I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and expect you're moving her to a larger enclosure in the future). Also it looks as if you have no visual barrier between enclosures. Definitely more branches, more plants. These come from cool humid rainforests. The planting should be dense. Depending on humidity, at least 20 min to 1 hour mistings each day, with possibly a fogger at night. IMO you should have solid sides and not an all around screen enclosure. They need a higher ambient humidity than Panthers and at night it should be even higher(close to 100%). IME with my Parsons outside time is crucial and she would heavily benefit from an outdoor enclosure to allow a few hours of shaded sun each day.

No intent to be disrespectful, just giving my honest take on it, and I hope you can be successful with her. It's a big commitment as they live up to about 20 years if kept correctly.

I'm concerned that they way you have your branches suspended from thumb tacks that while it's cool looking, it probably won't hold the weight they are going to need to over time. I would loop your supports over a horizontal bar on the top of the enclosure that runs across to the metal frame of the cage. AS mentioned you are getting there but need to add more and plan for the future.

Maybe add a plant in the back with bushier foliage, it will help to make it feel like a safer environment for your Cham. I agree with adding sturdier climbing branches, other than that it looks good!

In answer to your question jamest0o0, I don’t keep parsonii, but I have read about them. I saw that Duffield had only received 4 reply’s and only wanted to help. I am sorry if a gave out any falsities, I assure you it was unknowingly done.

Okay, hold on a second... I'm pretty confused about this, given your history of previous posts. You got a chameleon (your first?) in April, on a whim and without preparing at all. And it died within a couple of weeks, as often happens with impulse buys. Then at some point you said you had like 3? And have consistently shown confusion of some basic husbandry and chameleon identification. And now a Parson's? Parson's are only for the most advanced keepers out there and their care requirements are not easy to fulfill. If you can't keep a panther alive, how do you plan on providing for this extremely advanced chameleon? What changes have you made since that previous chameleon died just weeks ago?

Sorry, and I'm sure this comes off very harsh, but this is a HUGE leap in an absolutely tiny amount of time. I just think us members owe it to our chameleons to be a little more responsible... When you kill a chameleon, you should really be focusing on easier species (with no more than one chameleon at a time until you get it right) and making sure your husbandry is acceptable. I also noticed, it looks like you never filled out the help/care form previously when asked. Please, I implore you, fill out the following for in full if you value this chameleon's life...

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Back
Top Bottom