How Frequently Should the UV Blub Be Changed

Hello All!
I have two Jacksons (male and gravid female) and a Helmeted (male), all enclosures have a Arcadia 22" 24W T5 bulb. Back when I was into veilds, I was told to change the bulb every 6 months... so I still have been... but the Arcadia website says the bulbs have a lifespan of 1 year. What is your experience?

Hello All!
I have two Jacksons (male and gravid female) and a Helmeted (male), all enclosures have a Arcadia 22" 24W T5 bulb. Back when I was into veilds, I was told to change the bulb every 6 months... so I still have been... but the Arcadia website says the bulbs have a lifespan of 1 year. What is your experience?
Arcadia says theirs last one year. You can confirm this with a UV meter; sometimes you can go longer depends on the bulb. (with 3 cages meter could pay for itself).Without a meter I would probably play it safe with 9 months.

Hello All!
I was under the same impression every six months , but I bought a meter . And I’m now finding that That’s not legitimate. I’m going on seven months with my first bulb and the meters telling me it’s almost the same as the new one .. slightly less output

With reptisun bulbs you want to change them every 6-9 months. With Arcadia bulbs every 12 months. If you have a solarmeter 6.5 you will find you can go longer than what is recommended as well. They drop off and burn in it seems in the first month or two then their UVI stays pretty consistent the rest of the time. Then they will reduce towards the end.. That is when replacement is needed. So with a Solarmeter you can see exactly when they drop off too much to replace them.

Last edited:
It really just depends on your goals. I have yet to have a bulb not make it over 2 years before going down 33%. As others with meters stated, has anyone with a meter even seen a drop after 90 days? My bulbs malfunction before they lose UVB strength. The switch to T5HO is amazing on the longevity. Ive been running them since 2012 in 3 cages and got the meter in 2013.

The whole "six months" seems to be a carry over from the T8 days that had very low output to begin with.

Both arcadia and zoomed rate their T5HO as 1 year. And i run both and can not tell the difference in them. The replacement choice is down to what is available or on sale at the time. Neither make the bulbs. There is not "reptile bulb factory". Both manufactures just pick a phosphor recipe and farm it out to the same bulb house in Germany and they are made right along side the other T5 Bulbs.

As most have stated, a meter pays for itself. id say even with 1 chameleon You could break even if you are changing every 9 months.

Another option is get the new $50 orange ones that measure UVI. They are normally good enough and both the $50 and the $250 ones take a bit of practice to get repeatable results.

Id say try the $50 and go outside, if you can get reliable sunny noon measurements, you are gold.

I test my bulbs every month. I use arcadia and change about every 14 15 months. Could probably go longer just dont

Back
Top Bottom