How far away can a Chameleon see?

ZippiesPal

I am continuing to be amazed at my girls capabilities.

The room her cage is in has a glass door with a lace curtain over the window. I swear that she can see me watching her after I walk out. I bet its about 10 feet away and through a lace covered door. I would not be at all surprised to learn that she can see distance better than I can.

I have read somewhere before that they can "zoom" in on things, but the link, I can not find. :(

Generally an arboreal animals eyesight is amazing. I'm continually stunned by how fast Chameleons zero in on their prey. They usually see it before I do, I sorta just watch where the lizard is looking to see if I can get a glimpse of it before they snatch it up.

Anyone who's nearsighted can probably tell that chameleons are built for great vision "over there"...we've all watched them reach out seemingly blindly for something close by but then turn around and nail a cricket over a foot away with their tongues...

Their eyelids are "fused" to create a "small diameter opening" which means the ability of their eyes to focus on things far away is enhanced by the small aperture of the eyelids.

Old school film photographers will recognize why this is true. The smaller the opening that admits light, the better the focus.

It also means they can't see close up well at all...

Anyone who's nearsighted can probably tell that chameleons are built for great vision "over there"...we've all watched them reach out seemingly blindly for something close by but then turn around and nail a cricket over a foot away with their tongues...

Their eyelids are "fused" to create a "small diameter opening" which means the ability of their eyes to focus on things far away is enhanced by the small aperture of the eyelids.

Old school film photographers will recognize why this is true. The smaller the opening that admits light, the better the focus.

It also means they can't see close up well at all...

With photography when you drop the aperture of the lens down, say F16 or F32 this gives you greater depth of field, meaning you can focus on a nearby object (Not 2 inches away,but more like a few feet away) while keeping the background in focus at the same time.

Greater depth of field also equals an inability to see in less than ideal light...In a photography sense, it means you will need "faster" film (if you remember film...I worked at photo labs 1982-1999 and know that "film" is sort of archaic as a concept) and faster film does not capture details well...to get the best focus (say, if you want to nail an insect 2 body lengths away from you with a tongue strike) you want the smallest aperture possible.

I mentioned that nearsighted people would recognize this because I am nearsighted (very nearsighted) and I've talked to lots of nearsighted people and we have all experienced "shrinking" the aperture...be it by squinting or by holding up something with a tiny hole to look through.

If you want to know how far your chams can see try taking them outside when there are planes in the sky!!! I took a female of mine out for some sun and she freaked out. So I looked where she was and she followed the plane with her eye for about 20 seconds, she was noticably upset. Until this happened I had no idea their eyesight was that good.

If you want to know how far your chams can see try taking them outside when there are planes in the sky!!! I took a female of mine out for some sun and she freaked out. So I looked where she was and she followed the plane with her eye for about 20 seconds, she was noticably upset. Until this happened I had no idea their eyesight was that good.

I keep my chams outside in the spring and summer and notice they definitely do track the airplanes. They will also react and eye high flying birds as well.

Back
Top Bottom