How Dumb Was This?

NosyBe15

How dumb was my decision on this?

Ok so last week I went to Petco to get my usual crickets for my panther. I usually get 30 at a time, I have the smaller "cricket keeper" cage, and I gut load with the Flukers Orange cubes. I also chuck in some friut/veggies every other day or so.

I have to buy goldfish also for my Piranha, So the goldfish Kid got my crickets. He must of really not been paying attention or really didnt care, because in the bag, the front of the egg crate had some, I really wasnt paying too much attention, because if I was I would of noticed the back side of the egg crate, which was COMPLETELY COVERED in crickets. When I got the bag home, Im telling you, there were about 120-150 crickets in that bag. So me being me, treated them as if they were 30 and did my normal dusting routene and dumped them in. (obviously Ive had to change the food way more, and clean the holder way more) Surprisingly, there wernt many that died. So maybe it all worked out. A week and a half later, I still have about 20 in there. haha.

My main concern is could this of caused any issue for my Panther? How many circkets do you guys get at a time? Should I just get the big cricket keeper to prevent any issues? <------- actually I think I just answered my own post.. lol:confused:

What problems would it cause by having more feeders at home? None :)

Bulk online is the way to go. You can get 1k for 30 bucks give or take on price. I have not ordered in a year..

i would buy bulk and keep them in a big rubber maid storage container. dont bother with the critter keepers. if you put a bowl of dirt into the cricket cage they will lay eggs and then you will have free crickets. i usually only buy crickets once every month and that is just to replace adult crickets i have fed off.

I get a 1000 shipped to me for 20$. I got tired of going to the pet store and I keep them in a 5$ tub from the dollar store.

Around here crickets are .11 cents a piece at petco. That'd put you at 110 bucks fir a thousand. Compared to 30 ish. If you have the room for a large rubber maid I suggest giving it a shot and saving some money!

Try ghans crickets, ive heard a lot of good things about them and I know it's none of my business but piranhas are illegal I California because they are an invasive species.

Try ghans crickets, ive heard a lot of good things about them and I know it's none of my business but piranhas are illegal I California because they are an invasive species.

A: that is a bs rule, there is no evidence a breeding population could survive, and B: I'm sure they meant their Pacu... Right? ;)

Either way the only reason I don't buy bulk is that my local reptile dealer offers a deal where you can buy 600 crix at once for a great price and just pick them up as needed. So I just go get a weeks worth every week.

Otherwise bulk is the way to go, and if you have space they are even easy to breed.

Back
Top Bottom