How does your chameleon drink?

I’m not totally convinced he was actually trying to drink the water. I have observed my panther shooting water droplets off of vines and plants like it was a bug. I think that they see a glimmer from the light refracting and think that it is a bug moving. Total speculation though.

That may be the case, he
See that’s somewhat normal. The shooting at water droplets I’m not sure is trying to drink them. In the video @Balien posted the Cham was shooting his tongue into the bowl. That’s not a very efficient way for a Cham to get water. If he was trying to drink it why wouldn’t he tilt his head down a bit and lap it up like they do off of leaves?

The whole reason I posted this thread was I was just curious if anyone else’s Cham drank like this lol. I have only had him for a couple of weeks but I know it’s not normal. He doesn’t show any signs of dehydration and his urates are all white, so he’s clearly getting the hydration that he needs, just not in the traditional chameleon way I guess? He does attack the mister sometimes when I spray in his cage, but I’ve never seen him licking droplets off of anything. Part of his morning routine is hanging around the bowl and “eating” the water several times.

I don’t think the people who had him before me ever misted him, they gave me all the equipment they had for him but a mister wasn’t included in that so that may be part of the problem? He never had a chance to learn the right way?

I don’t know, mine dink’s really weirdly too, except she acts like it’s a bug and she keeps shooting at it, (it’s a dripper btw)!

That may be the case, he

The whole reason I posted this thread was I was just curious if anyone else’s Cham drank like this lol. I have only had him for a couple of weeks but I know it’s not normal. He doesn’t show any signs of dehydration and his urates are all white, so he’s clearly getting the hydration that he needs, just not in the traditional chameleon way I guess? He does attack the mister sometimes when I spray in his cage, but I’ve never seen him licking droplets off of anything. Part of his morning routine is hanging around the bowl and “eating” the water several times.

I don’t think the people who had him before me ever misted him, they gave me all the equipment they had for him but a mister wasn’t included in that so that may be part of the problem? He never had a chance to learn the right way?

Ya if it was the only option he had I guess that’s how he learned to drink it. Still not very efficient. Im still wondering if he’s seeing something in the water though.

I’m not sure if my theory is correct or not. We have to remember that chameleons see on different wave lengths then humans so what we see and what they see are somewhat different. They see on the colour spectrum and they see ultraviolet light. I have watched Lennon shoot water droplets off his vines in 3 different ways.
1. Drop slowly forming and he starts so take interest then shoots it off before it falls.

2. Drop has been there for at least a few minutes before he takes interest and slowly lines up to shoot it off while hesitating as if he’s not sure or he’s trying to find it.

3. Drop on branch behind him he notices and snaps his head around and grabs it like he does with a cricket.

What does all this mean? I have no idea just interesting to think about.

Back
Top Bottom