How do you?

ColorCham427

Avid Member
Hi all,

How do you guys keep your resivoir's water warm? I placed two reptile heat-pads underneath the bucket that I use. Still, it gets cold within an hour.:confused:

In Arizona, in the summer, we have naturally hot water. :rolleyes:

Have you tried looking for a bigger heat pad, or something designed to heat water?

you could probably get a small fish tank heater that goes right into the reservoir.Really cheap.

Mhm, they work out best. Just make sure your resivoir isn't plastic or it might melt through it. And make sure you know how many gallons/liters the bucket is.

Fish tank heater is good, but make sure it stays fully submerged otherwise it'll go pop! Well, more like boom but hey!

i tried putting a heater in the water, but it only gets to like 90F no warmer so its 100% limited on how hot the heater can get and fish aquariums just dont need to be that hot

You have to find one without a thermal shutdown, so it isn't 100% limited, the little 25w that is in mine doesn't have one. They are getting hard to find though. That one gets the 3g in the container to 95F. In the original setup with the 1g container I had the external temp control shut it off at 105F. They do make some that are meant to be used with an external control, those don't usually have a thermal shutdown built in, you would have to use an external control like the one pictured though. The external controls meant for them have a thermal shutdown also. How hot do you want the water to be?? My spray temps are 82-87F(varies with ambient room temp), that has seemed to be plenty warm enough for me.

Fish tank heater is good, but make sure it stays fully submerged otherwise it'll go pop! Well, more like boom but hey!

Yeah... they explode real good, I pulled one out of an aquarium once thinking it was unplugged.... It didn't have a thermal shutdown. Smelled something hot, wasn't thinking... took it to the sink and turned the water on BOOM!!! is correct.

im not sure i just want it to be a little warm instead of cool so they will sit in it and not run from it

temp sits at like 92F i have nothingto measure spray out temp

im not sure i just want it to be a little warm instead of cool so they will sit in it and not run from it

temp sits at like 92F i have nothingto measure spray out temp

One of my chams just hates to be sprayed, he runs from it regardless if it's cold or warm, hand sprayer or auto mister, he just doesn't like it period. I don't use the auto mister on the new baby cham, just warm water in a hand sprayer, he doesn't seem to mind being misted, it could just be your cham doesn't like being sprayed.

How warm is water in nature? I think clean and fresh is more important.
Misting is not really much like rain anyway, especially by hand. Some reptiles just hate it.
As for temperature of mist, I dont think they are quite as sensitive as people would beleive, its not like our skin.

1 they are ectotherms, we're not, cold or warm water on our skin is noticed (skin/nerve structure is different for us)

2 reptile skin is designed to keep moisture in.

3. consider how common thermal burns are in captive reptiles, if it can sit under/against heat long enough to burn, even cook to death and not notice, do you really think it will notice, care, or come to harm if your misting water is room temp/cold?
As long as you dont use ice-cold or refridgerated water (it will still cool it some) it will be fine. A nice warm shower is not something nature provides often. :)

How warm is water in nature? I think clean and fresh is more important.
Misting is not really much like rain anyway, especially by hand. Some reptiles just hate it.
As for temperature of mist, I dont think they are quite as sensitive as people would beleive, its not like our skin.

1 they are ectotherms, we're not, cold or warm water on our skin is noticed (skin/nerve structure is different for us)

2 reptile skin is designed to keep moisture in.

3. consider how common thermal burns are in captive reptiles, if it can sit under/against heat long enough to burn, even cook to death and not notice, do you really think it will notice, care, or come to harm if your misting water is room temp/cold?
As long as you dont use ice-cold or refridgerated water (it will still cool it some) it will be fine. A nice warm shower is not something nature provides often. :)

actually thats far from true. ever been in FL during rain? Its not cool and refreshing its warm and sticky they live in very hot places with high humidity most breeds so how climate warm water. it is well known chameleons dont like cool, or cold water, and prefer warm to hot water. i know my cham does and there is a ton of other people that get the same response. My cham doesnt mind the mist as long as i get it straight from the sink into the auto mister, and its hot by the time it moves through its then warm.

ever been in FL during rain? Its not cool and refreshing its warm and sticky

How many species endemic to Fla.? :)
Even in their natural range rain is not temp regulated.

it is well known chameleons dont like cool, or cold water, and prefer warm to hot water.

well thats hardly surprising is it, its a reptile! They like to thermoregulate!

I think folk tend to overdo trying to make their captive enviroment perfect. Nature is not perfect, reptiles have adapted to nature over millions of years, they hardly need sooking.
They're not that fragile or they would've died out long ago. The biggest threat to their survival is interferance from us.
I wonder if we make captives 'lose the edge' by insisting on near perfect conditions.
Generation after generation kept like this, have no need to adapt, so if conditions change
how do they cope?

Seriously, ectotherms take on enviromental conditions. If theres a cold rain, whats it gonna do if its temp drops? Anyone?.....Bask!
Let them do what they do best, Allow them to.

i just skipped to the end here and idnt read so sorry if its reposting...but here colorcham

fish tank heaters in my opionion do no good. They can for algea and only heat the water to 93 degrees....after it runs throuout the pipes it become just babrly warmer then room temp...if that...

i let my guy get cold room temp water...he likes it and will sit in the middle of one of the nozzels for like 2 min licking his lips..then its off to hide under a leaf or drink more in private....but if you have finicky chams...buy a 50 dollar incline hreater...i think they are called....place it as close to the nozzels in the tubing as possible...this way not too much water gets cooled by the air in the tubing...just a though....like i said leting them have a room temp shower isnt that bad.

Brian, I do not use a heater, as the room temp holds around 75 degrees. The water coming out of the mistking system is so ultra fine, I cant see it being able to hold heat anyway. None of my 3 run and hide when it cycles, they position themseves for a quick shower, followed by a drink. Unless your in a cold climate, I see no reason to heat your resovoir.

-Jay

Brian, I do not use a heater, as the room temp holds around 75 degrees. The water coming out of the mistking system is so ultra fine, I cant see it being able to hold heat anyway. None of my 3 run and hide when it cycles, they position themseves for a quick shower, followed by a drink. Unless your in a cold climate, I see no reason to heat your resovoir.

-Jay

truuue.. yeah, my chameleons never run away like they're getting shocked with cold water. I just thought they would like it better, if the water was a perfect luke warm temp for them. If it still doesn't bother them, what's the point of spending money thats not needed? right?

Ambient temp is between 75-79.

Thanks all for helping out. :)

-Brian

Back
Top Bottom