How do you water you new born panthers??

Howdy Denise,

My newborns go straight into their screen enclosures with an automated misting system running 20 minutes twice a day. Some get soaked right away and others get soaked sooner or later. My suggestion is using warm water (90F-100F) in a hand pump-up 1-2 quart type plant mister (not the std. trigger type squirt misters). The middle one is my favorite one: http://rlflomaster.com/sprayers/hand.htm $7 at places like Home Depot. You can work your way around the plants, finally ending-up misting the babies. Sneak a little bit on them, wait 10-20-30 seconds and mist them a bit more. Eventually they get used to it. Even with my automated system, I occasionally use my hand mister to help wash down all of the leaves, with or without babies hanging on them :).

I would use water straight from the hot tap...spray it on you hand like 6-10 inches away and you will see it just feels pleasently warm

Yes I do use warm water, but I need to get that mister that you pump up from Home Depot. Maybe the misting from this is to strong?? I will get one!:)
Thanks so much!!

I use one of them pump-up misters now, Shiver hated the trigger type.

Can't fault the pump-up type ;)

i always use water from the big kuligun bottles and there an extra tap for hot water and i just turn it off and its room temp water ready for me when i need it , and i never use tap water cause where i am the clorine in it would kill my chams but try misting beside them and all around them it helps alot i find

Dave, what size cage are the babies in? John was thinking about putting the new borns on a misting system but I'm afraid that they're too small. Have you had any casualties from the misting system? I've herd that it can drown a baby.

Dave,
what size cage are the babies in?
John was thinking about putting the new borns on a misting system but I'm afraid that they're too small.
Have you had any casualties from the misting system?
I've herd that it can drown a baby.
Howdy Cyndi,

My baby enclosures are 12w x 20d x 18h and are 1/16" x 1/16" std. screen.

My automated misting system runs 20 minutes twice a day.

No casulties :). I have seen drops of water stuck right on their noses, covering their nostrils, yet no problems.

I use ~18" tall schefflera plants and they seem to work well for dining, basking and sleeping. Some keepers recommend individual enclosures per baby but I have found that panthers seem to do fine in groups until about 3 months old. At hatching, up to 8 in that size enclosure appears to be ok. Between 2-3 months old I was reducing it down to 2 per enclosure. Luckily, I have up to 5 of those enclosures ready to go at any time. You have to watch for subtle signs of stress and then separate those ones from the rest. It may end up that I've been kidding myself that they aren't affected by keeping these small groups together but you have to admit that they sure do gather together at bedtime!

TripleBunkBeds.jpg

Dave,
Thanks so much for the info, that's about the same size cages we have. The babies do seem to like to hang out together, that pictures you have is absolutly adorable!! WOW, 20 min. at a pop, how do you get rid of the water??? There must be a lot of it!!

where did you get your mister???

Dave,
where did you purchase your mister??? Did you set it on a timer?? What does others do if they need to goout of town for a few days????

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom