How do you train Cham to accept your hand in cage?

jacksonchamnew

Avid Member
My male chameleon hissed and puffed up when I put my hand near it. One day later it started the shed so I understand that. But even before this it tries to escape and hide from me when I open cage door. I filmed it one time eating. It always likes to catch the feeders. It is probably 3 months old and bit the pet store employee on finger when she put him in box to go home with me. Hoping for a tame cham one day.

My male chameleon hissed and puffed up when I put my hand near it. One day later it started the shed so I understand that. But even before this it tries to escape and hide from me when I open cage door. I filmed it one time eating. It always likes to catch the feeders. It is probably 3 months old and bit the pet store employee on finger when she put him in box to go home with me. Hoping for a tame cham one day.
Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds to me more like you were hoping for a tame chameleon right out of the box, so to speak(?) From everything I've read, what's described sounds like typical chameleon behavior.

Captive bred reptiles are born with the same instincts as wild caught reptiles. Both need to be tamed (if that is what's desired) and that takes time—some more or less than others because they're all individuals and all different. By nature, they're solitary territorial creatures who want nothing more than to be left alone—even ignored.

taming a veiled chameleon

Patience, perseverance, kindness, and respect. ;)

Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds to me more like you were hoping for a tame chameleon right out of the box, so to speak(?) From everything I've read, what's described sounds like typical chameleon behavior.

Captive bred reptiles are born with the same instincts as wild caught reptiles. Both need to be tamed (if that is what's desired) and that takes time—some more or less than others because they're all individuals and all different. By nature, they're solitary territorial creatures who want nothing more than to be left alone—even ignored.

taming a veiled chameleon

Patience, perseverance, kindness, and respect. ;)
Good video.

Good video.
Actually, I wasn't linking to that video specifically. I often link to a group or search of articles because different authors can have different ideas, perspectives and approaches, and I believe reading a few—even differing—opinions can yield a more well-rounded understanding of most any topic.

If you scroll down that link, there are more resources.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom