How do you set up your branches and vines?

littlefoot3

I'm in the process of setting up my first enclosure and I'm running into a problem- I can't get anything to stay!

It's a 24x24x48 with the bottom blocked off with panel so it's a smaller cage since it will initially be housing a 3mo male veiled.

I had always seen mention of thumbtacks on here and so naturally that was the first thing I tried but it doesn't hold well. It either looks like it's about to damage the screen or I can barely touch it and it just falls. I'm working on getting some branches (It's been raining here too much the past week to really find anything) but right now all I really have is one fake bendy vine and a bird ladder. If I'm having this much trouble with the vine, I can only imagine the branches. What other things do you guys use or would suggest?

If your using the artificial vines they are usually too heavy to be held up by the thumbtacks by themselves. What I started doing is getting a 1/2" x 48" dowel rod from lowes, it prys in perfectly right in the center of the cage. I then run all my vines and branches across the dowel rod where I then zip tie it to tge rod. After you get about 5 on there the dowel rod will becomes very stable. You might even put a thumb tack through the dowel rod at the top of the cage

If your using the artificial vines they are usually too heavy to be held up by the thumbtacks by themselves. What I started doing is getting a 1/2" x 48" dowel rod from lowes, it prys in perfectly right in the center of the cage. I then run all my vines and branches across the dowel rod where I then zip tie it to tge rod. After you get about 5 on there the dowel rod will becomes very stable. You might even put a thumb tack through the dowel rod at the top of the cage

Awesome idea! Especially since I was already planning to at least put a dowel or two in there to mix up perch size :) thanks!

You can get floral wire at any hardware store, and craft store. That is what I use, you just wrap it around whatever you're hanging, then stick the ends through the holes in the cage, and tie them together. When buying the wire make sure to look and see how much weight it can hold:)

I can't exactly fit those through the screen though? How do I attach anything to the walls?

They make different sizes... I have a whole set of zipties that has like 10 different sizes and colors.... The smallest of them fit right through the screen holes. Just dont over tighten the ties and rip the screen.

I'm in the process of setting up my first enclosure and I'm running into a problem- I can't get anything to stay!

It's a 24x24x48 with the bottom blocked off with panel so it's a smaller cage since it will initially be housing a 3mo male veiled.

I had always seen mention of thumbtacks on here and so naturally that was the first thing I tried but it doesn't hold well. It either looks like it's about to damage the screen or I can barely touch it and it just falls. I'm working on getting some branches (It's been raining here too much the past week to really find anything) but right now all I really have is one fake bendy vine and a bird ladder. If I'm having this much trouble with the vine, I can only imagine the branches. What other things do you guys use or would suggest?

Hello there,
Check the pics on this thread
https://www.chameleonforums.com/need-help-pothos-plant-please-102714/#post942943

You can keep a 3 month old in the cage without blocking off the bottom half. Just put more branches in initially and remove them as he gets older. I have pics on our facebook of our baby cage setups at the link below. It might give you some ideas. I use natural branches and connect them together with plastic zip ties. If you create the anchor point from the top and build off of that you dont need to connect anything to the sides. hope this helps.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741831.291375457582672&type=1&l=3543313778

I use 20 lb fishing line fists through the small holes perfectly fine, strong, water proof, easily removable, and no having to cut holes for zipties. no problems here lol

Back
Top Bottom