How do you guys gutload?

MangoTango

Established Member
hey !! how do you guys gutload? do you have a whole container of just say, dubias, and feed them all, and then take the dubias when you need them, or, do you only gutload the few that will be the next meal? curious! lmk!

On a serious note, I always preferred to give my colonies a nutritious range of food, but a little more general for cost purposes. Then I’d have a feeder bin that I’d keep about a months worth of roaches and super worms in that would get the more specialized foods.

For example, main colonies got veggie/fruit scraps+all natural whole ingredient horse chow mix

Feeder bins got some of that, but also more specific things like blended gut load cubes, fresh store bought/garden veggies, occasional supplements I wanted targeted to my animals, etc… basically just gave me more control of knowing exactly what was going into my reptiles.

There is evidence showing insects increase in nutritional value from being raised on good foods. So it definitely worth it to keep the colony healthy even if you’re not immediately feeding off. Hell, mealworms can even be pretty damn nutritious if raised properly.

On a serious note, I always preferred to give my colonies a nutritious range of food, but a little more general for cost purposes. Then I’d have a feeder bin that I’d keep about a months worth of roaches and super worms in that would get the more specialized foods.

For example, main colonies got veggie/fruit scraps+all natural whole ingredient horse chow mix

Feeder bins got some of that, but also more specific things like blended gut load cubes, fresh store bought/garden veggies, occasional supplements I wanted targeted to my animals, etc… basically just gave me more control of knowing exactly what was going into my reptiles.

There is evidence showing insects increase in nutritional value from being raised on good foods. So it definitely worth it to keep the colony healthy even if you’re not immediately feeding off. Hell, mealworms can even be pretty damn nutritious if raised properly.
I love this thank you so much !

Dumb question: Why not just always leave insects with fresh food all the time? Do people usually starve the insects, then gut load them before feeding to your cham?

Dubias love carrots and dandelion greens. They really love repashy bug burger and the superload.
I usually make a salad with all that on a Styrofoam plate the day before feeding. I also sprinkle a mixture of cricket crack and highlighter gutload on top. So usually every 2-4 days.
They will eat everything every single time. But the more frequent you feed them the faster and bigger they grow.

Dumb question: Why not just always leave insects with fresh food all the time? Do people usually starve the insects, then gut load them before feeding to your cham?
that’s what I was asking. I give them food all the time, but does the cham get more nutrients if they’re gutloaded right before feeding?

Back
Top Bottom