How do you distract yourself while waiting for eggs to hatch?

Olimpia

Biologist & Ecologist
My eggs just hit 7 months yesterday and today I got the baby bins mostly put together. So it's official, the end is nigh and I am going crazy waiting for them to hatch or show some signs. Today I think I peeked at the incubating tupperware a good half-dozen times as I went about doing other things. I'm not touching it, mind you, just looking over at it since it's a clear container.

So what did I do?

I bought a videogame, so I have something to do when I'm not working at work or on commissions.

I found that the eggs were very easy to ignore the first 4-5 months and then it has just become progressively more and more terrible. And many of them still seem very small (but pink and fertile-looking when candled with a LED light) so I worry that they've got a long while left! Ugh! lol

So what new hobbies have you taken up while waiting for these tiny little things to hatch? Crochet? Cooking? Nail-bitting?

Crocheting is a fabulous hobby, I cannot recommend it enough! It doesn't take much space or money, you can create things people use and enjoy and it makes "filling time" completely worthwhile.

Start a pin head breeding project to get ready for them or a red runner colony..... Or a good fix for me is to just look at all the little babies everyone else post :)

Thanks Ibdragons!

Eliza, I've never been patient enough for any sort of needlework (if crochet fits under that category?) although my mom has taken it up.

Lee, I'm already on it! lol I did a test run at the pet store where I work and was able to see how long they take to hatch at what temps and now have my own little dirt tubs incubating here at home. I also have surinam roaches going by the thousands, and those babies are definitely pretty tiny. And then I have another 4 roach species with nymphs in all sizes after that so they'll be well fed. I've run out of additional (legal!) insect projects to run at home! lol.

I think I'll do like you and just search the forum for more baby photos!

I'm with Eliza, though I'm a knitter. You'll have at least 100 bootees to do, I'd get started if I were you...

Do you have your baby bin, jungle gyms and of forth all set up? I found that shopping and setting up for the babies was fun. :)

Almost Jann, I just need to find suitable fake plants for the baby bins but otherwise everything is ready. I even have their "toddler" cages ready with plants and everything.

Almost Jann, I just need to find suitable fake plants for the baby bins but otherwise everything is ready. I even have their "toddler" cages ready with plants and everything.

I really like the boxwood fake plants. Everyone of their leaves had little dents in the them where the water would puddle and I'd see the babies drinking all the time.

Back
Top Bottom