How do people feed off bsf?

What do the bsfl look like when they pupate?
They turn black the flies are not big at all. I used the gum container like JacksJill recommended and hot glued a magnet on to it so I could leave it in his cage. That way they pupate and turn into flies in there and then fly out the little gum opening on the side. It works beautifully. Then I don't have them flying around my house when they do it in the container in my cabinet lol. My family is not fond of flying feeders.

They turn black the flies are not big at all. I used the gum container like JacksJill recommended and hot glued a magnet on to it so I could leave it in his cage. That way they pupate and turn into flies in there and then fly out the little gum opening on the side. It works beautifully. Then I don't have them flying around my house when they do it in the container in my cabinet lol. My family is not fond of flying feeders.
Genius!

Yes! I was sooooo happy when she shared that jewel of a trick. Every other time I would try to put them in there they would fly out. My daughter is freaked by them because they don't look like a fly.
So just put the pupae in the container and put the container into the enclosure? Easy enough!

So just put the pupae in the container and put the container into the enclosure? Easy enough!
Yeah read what jacksjill posted. I followed what she did with shredded paper and I also put in some of my insect fuel for the larvae to munch on.
09BA1F03-E5B4-4802-908B-56D18EE64030.jpeg 19589953-361C-4651-8031-D70CBD004700.jpeg

I think I might try the gum container trick too! Right now I just let them pupate in the container I have for the larvae (large Tupperware with screened lid and half full of cocofiber plus gutload on top). The flies emerge and cling to screen. Some days I get half a dozen, some just one or two, some none, it just varies. I pop the whole container in the fridge for five minutes before feeding to slow them down for easy transfer to cage. They're his favorite feeder so I usually set one on my finger to hand feed him, and the rest on a little ledge; they warm up fast and start buzzing around. Flying food is the best!

So, what you're saying is I have an excuse to get another pack of gum... for Lily's sake of course! :p I bet I can pretty it up with a little Great Stuff, make it blend in... :unsure:

Now I know what day my local shop gets their order and can get the big pack before they are all gone. 200 bsfl should keep us busy. Hopefully I can pupate and get some to lay eggs. I never knew I needed a compost bin till I owned a cham

Attachments

• 15563114055177589847545480393697.jpg
    15563114055177589847545480393697.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 90
Back
Top Bottom