How do I train on a diet?

SueAndHerZoo

Established Member
Rescued my male adult about a week ago and was told (and agree) he looks overweight. I've actually got him eating from my hand now and I would love to continue working with him to trust me but how do I do that while I have to restrict his food intake? All I've been giving him off my hand is one meal worm but I know those aren't great for him. I just placed a varied order from Dubia.com that will be in Thursday but not sure how much I should be feeding to allow him to lose weight. Is there a "diet plan" on here somewhere? ☺️
Sue

So if he is reduced down to 3 days a week with 2-3 feeders or however your doing it then instead of cup feeding those meals you will hand feed them.

Thanks, I can do that but I guess I need to know how low to go with his intake? 3 days a week, 2-3 medium crickets? This is what I have coming in Thursday:
Large Mealworms × 1
Medium Hornworms × 1
24ct
Medium 3/4" Dubia × 2
Waxworms × 1
Medium Superworms × 1

Thanks, I can do that but I guess I need to know how low to go with his intake? 3 days a week, 2-3 medium crickets? This is what I have coming in Thursday:
Large Mealworms × 1
Medium Hornworms × 1
24ct
Medium 3/4" Dubia × 2
Waxworms × 1
Medium Superworms × 1
You can still mix up the feeders....

Monday 1 dubia, 1 superworm, 1 hornworm

Wednesday 2 crickets and 1 dubia,

Friday 1 cricket, 1dubia, 1 hornworm

I would not feed him waxworms. They are very high in fat. You want protein not fat. Superworms are higher in fat as well. I personally do not feed mealworms but they are higher in fat as well. Your best feeders that are lower fat are crickets, dubia, and hornworms.

If he allows you to weigh him then see if this results in grams lost. If not you need to drop a feeder each feeding. Then see what grams lost are. Remember just like humans your looking for a slow weight loss. Not fast. A few grams a week.

Feeder nutrition chart.jpeg

You can still mix up the feeders....

Monday 1 dubia, 1 superworm, 1 hornworm

Wednesday 2 crickets and 1 dubia,

Friday 1 cricket, 1dubia, 1 hornworm

I would not feed him waxworms. They are very high in fat. You want protein not fat. Superworms are higher in fat as well. I personally do not feed mealworms but they are higher in fat as well. Your best feeders that are lower fat are crickets, dubia, and hornworms.

If he allows you to weigh him then see if this results in grams lost. If not you need to drop a feeder each feeding. Then see what grams lost are. Remember just like humans your looking for a slow weight loss. Not fast. A few grams a week.

View attachment 320998
Thank you for the great diet plan and nutritional info! I'm going to print it and put it near his cage and make sure he knows it came from you so he won't hate me about his diet! :cool: The things I ordered that have a higher fat content can go to my young female who I'm still working on to eat out of my hand. Nothing will go to waste here!
Sue

Back
Top Bottom