How do i raise chameleons humidity

Repet

The humidity in my chameleons cage is most of the time around 20-30% which is way to low for a veiled chameleon which is what he is. I have an automatic misting system but it definately sprays too much. A large puddle of water always fills the bottom of his enclosure and the umbrella plants in there keep dying which i believe is because of too much water. It's an exo terra medium extra tall i think they are called. He has a soil substrate, living plants and the temp seems fine. And i just dont know what to do anymore so i figured i would post something here. I would like to lower how much it sprays in his enclosure because i don't like the plants just constantly dying and there being a huge puddle in his tank. I just want him to have the best little life that he can get :)

What kind of humidity gage are you using? Doesn't make sense that with substrate (which you should remove immediately because he will eat it) an exoterra which is glass, and you missing as much as you say you are.

What kind of humidity gage are you using? Doesn't make sense that with substrate (which you should remove immediately because he will eat it) an exoterra which is glass, and you missing as much as you say you are.
it's a digital gage. i also used to be worried about him eating the substrate but i used to have bark which i just really don't like because when he would grab his food he would sometimes get some in his mouth. He used to eat the soil but he doesn't anymore and i searched up symptoms of impaction and he didn't have any of them so i think it's fine and i have not seen him eating it for atleast 8 months. The best would of course be newspaper or whatever it is but i just don't want to lower the humidity even more. I do have an old analog gage which i could try and see what it shows. And also what did u mean with me missing much did u mean the missing humidity or am i doing something wrong with his care. Just wanna know so i can improve:)

Will you please post a picture of the enclosure? Also a picture of the gauge you’re using.
I know there is some poop in one of the pics. i'm gonna clean that up right away

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 142
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 106
There is just one probe in his enclosure that i move around now and then
Ahhhhhh okay. Try putter the whole thing with the digital screen inside the enclosure. (Just don’t get it wet or you’ll ruin it) Someone else I knew had a gauge where temp was measured by the probe and humidity was measured by the whole device. I think you’ve been measuring the humidity outside the enclosure the whole time.

Ahhhhhh okay. Try putter the whole thing with the digital screen inside the enclosure. (Just don’t get it wet or you’ll ruin it) Someone else I knew had a gauge where temp was measured by the probe and humidity was measured by the whole device. I think you’ve been measuring the humidity outside the enclosure the whole time.
Oh ok. I could try that

In the ads for this gauge though they advertise it as that you can slide it on to a holder thing for diffrent lamps

You really need to remove all of the substrate ASAP and have just bare floor. From your pics it looks like you have a muddy mess which is just going to brew bacteria. You also need to make set up some drainage. Drilling a few holes in the cage bottom and having a bucket below to catch the water is the easiest. If you don’t already run a cool mist humidifier at night, you may want to.

The soil looks fine. The problem is you have no drainage set up in place. Have you looked up false bottoms? There are ways to have water pumped or siphoned out in glass enclosures.

Btw the bacteria growing in natural soil is going to be far less concerning than that bacteria growing on a regularly sterilized surface. What you need to do is set up a false bottom with good draining soil and a drainage plan in place(sounds more difficult than it is).

Back
Top Bottom