How do I properly and easily sterilize natural branches??

Dmcugy

Hi everybody, this is my first thread and i need some help!. I just ordered a baby veiled chameleon and total set up from Flchams.com and i was wondering how to effectively sterilize natural tree branches for my cage. I have read places that putting them in the oven is effective? If so how high of temp and how long? Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!!

For smaller branches, 350 degrees for 30 minutes is sufficient.

For larger branches, fill a 32 gallon trash can with water, and add 1 cup of bleach. Allow the branch to soak overnight. The next morning spray it off with a hose, and allow it to dry completely before placing it in your enclosure.

Hope that helps.

Cool thx for the info guys! Any other tips regarding husbandry or feeding would be greatly appreciated as well!! :D

Here is what I do. I go outside, pick some sticks up with thin bark and toss them in the enclosure!!! I feel no need to bake sticks and think its a waste of time. Although, I guess if it gives you peace of mind it accounts for something. I get sticks with thin bark so the animal doesnt have a chance to eat some of it. You can scrape off the bark if you like. At the moment I have been using hops vines and they work really well. I have never once baked a freaking stick:rolleyes:

If I were you, I would post another thread on here, asking for opinions on your husbandry. There are a lot of knowledgeable cham owners here, that would be more than willing to help you. When you do submit a new thread, let everyone know what kind of cham it is, what you have for it already i.e cage, supplies, ect. and we can go from there!

Here is what I do. I go outside, pick some sticks up with thin bark and toss them in the enclosure!!! I feel no need to bake sticks and think its a waste of time. Although, I guess if it gives you peace of mind it accounts for something. I get sticks with thin bark so the animal doesnt have a chance to eat some of it. You can scrape off the bark if you like. At the moment I have been using hops vines and they work really well. I have never once baked a freaking stick:rolleyes:

You are SUCH a REBEL!!! LOL :D:D

haha ok thx for you info. Another question for all you out there is what are you guys using for your source of feeders? I can find any good pet stores around me at all? I have read about ordering online?

I also find it funny that women will bake sticks themselves or let their significant others bake the sticks. Not trying to be sexist here just basing it off of my EX and my mom. I can hear them now. "You arent putting those GD sticks in my oven!!!!":D:D:D:D:D

If I were you, I would post another thread on here, asking for opinions on your husbandry. There are a lot of knowledgeable cham owners here, that would be more than willing to help you. When you do submit a new thread, let everyone know what kind of cham it is, what you have for it already i.e cage, supplies, ect. and we can go from there!

ok will do. Thx!!

haha ok thx for you info. Another question for all you out there is what are you guys using for your source of feeders? I can find any good pet stores around me at all? I have read about ordering online?

I would defintiely recommend Mulberry Farms. That is where I get ALL my feeders. They have a great selection so I can mix it up a bit, and they have great customer service, and are quick in getting your order to you.

Also Cain, You are probably right about that....See, I would allow it bc I think I love my Chams more than my oven, but I can definitely see my Mother In Law freaking out on me if I tried to put a stick in her oven. Would not end well. At all.....

I would defintiely recommend Mulberry Farms. That is where I get ALL my feeders. They have a great selection so I can mix it up a bit, and they have great customer service, and are quick in getting your order to you.

Also Cain, You are probably right about that....See, I would allow it bc I think I love my Chams more than my oven, but I can definitely see my Mother In Law freaking out on me if I tried to put a stick in her oven. Would not end well. At all.....

What we all do for our chams:D I dont bake my sticks but I am sure the neighbors get a kick out of me trying to catch moths from the porch lights or other bugs around the yard. They probably wonder why the hell I am staring at a plant inside a cage for so long too LOL!!! I just hope my other comment is taken lightly;):)

haha! I agree with you. I did wash my branches even though they came off my own tree but I have to admit I had a ton of them and after doing some I just said screw it and threw them in like you! My cham is alive and kicking and doing well!

Back
Top Bottom