how do i make my cage more sturdier

tanneruv

so ive just upgraded from a very small cage for my jackson chameleon and this enclosure is around 4ft tall and im gonna put a big tree with sturdy branches in the middle but i just have 5 questions, how do i make the cage sturdier like its made out of very thin metal and its loose so i added 2 wooden sticks and zip tied them to make it more stable but its still no strong enough but its definitely way stronger then before and also what do i use to cover the bottom and top of the enclosure thats sturdy but not too heavy and does anyone know a tree that i can put in the middle that is tall, has strong branches , and barely needs sunlight... thanks for the help! oh and also what type of uvb ray bulb do i need, to make sure it covers the bottom and top of the enclosure (please be specific ) okay thank you!!
4A33C69A-9E0B-48F3-9998-D0EE8F9D9DB8.jpeg

That cage is not sufficient. He could escape. There's no area for lighting. Chameleons cost a lot of money. 1000$ is around the cost. If you can't afford that then just release him. A proper cage can cost maybe 300 at the least.

Last edited:
The OP has three choices....
1) Let the chameleon go and hope it's smart enough to survive there.

2) Have a proper cage outside that a mongoose cannot break into...it won't need a UVB light if it's outside...or a basking light but it will need a proper source of water and insects. It would be good if the cage had "screen" that had holes big enough for wild insects to fly into but that the chameleon couldn't escape through. You could still feed it store bought insects in a cup....or handfed them to it. The chameleon needs to be able to move in and out of the sunlight.

Or 3) the chameleon can be set up in a cage in the house with proper UVB light and a basking light...use store bought supplemented/well fed/properly gutloaded insects. Have a proper watering system for it, etc.

There's actually a 4th choice...part time inside in a cage and part time outside in a cage.

Can we pleas stick to one thread - let's do the other one
okay so ive got enough money and im not gonna steal and ive done research on the t5 Ho linear bulb and it had very similar results to the compact uvb bulbs so i was thinking of getting the flukers clamping done and a 10.0 or maybe higher because the lady i watched on youtube used a thereomemeter like instrument to test the uvb and they were very weak for both linear tube bulb and compact uvb bulb so i was just gonna get the flukers clamp lamp and a 10.0 or 15.0 uvb compact bulb, any thoughts?

okay so ive got enough money and im not gonna steal and ive done research on the t5 Ho linear bulb and it had very similar results to the compact uvb bulbs so i was thinking of getting the flukers clamping done and a 10.0 or maybe higher because the lady i watched on youtube used a thereomemeter like instrument to test the uvb and they were very weak for both linear tube bulb and compact uvb bulb so i was just gonna get the flukers clamp lamp and a 10.0 or 15.0 uvb compact bulb, any thoughts?
Let him go. You'll need weekly money for food, at least 300$ for a proper cage, and at least 50$ for uvb

@tanneruv I appreciate that you saved this chameleon from a mongoose. However, it would be in the best interest for the animal to release it back in the wild, perhaps a distance from where the mongoose is. Chameleons are very expensive animals to keep and do not do well if you don’t provide properly for them. Not to mention wild caught animals can be difficult to keep healthy. If you are truly interested in chameleons, I would recommend you to research everything you can about them and their care. Ask questions. Save lots of money. When you are much better prepared, plan and set up and then get a healthy captive bred chameleon. This is not only the best course of action for the chameleon, but for you as well.

NO compact bulb. it will die. You have to get a linear T5HO fixture with a 5.0 long tube bulb or a 6% arcadia bulb.

If you caught him you need to return him to the place you found him. They are very very expensive and this is not something to enter in to without the funds to support proper housing and care.

No point in saving the chameleon from the mongoose and they letting it die a slow death when you can't provide it with a proper set-up and care. Please let it go....and when you are in a better situation to look after one properly you could buy another one.

Let him go. You'll need weekly money for food, at least 300$ for a proper cage, and at least 50$ for uvb
okay i got this lamp fixture and i was gonna try and find a 10.0 uvb bulb for it but there was only 5.0's and i checked lowes for the wire to build a cage but it ended up being to short in height but when i do get it i was gonna put a $30 money plant in the middle and then yeah but can anyone recommend a good 10.0 uvb bulb also i attached pictures of the lamp and the cage i was suppose to build

Attachments

• 5572C7EF-19BC-41CB-8897-C2F7D57DCEEB.jpeg
    5572C7EF-19BC-41CB-8897-C2F7D57DCEEB.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 3AB61DAA-B195-4636-8CD0-645FF5F17AC0.jpeg
    3AB61DAA-B195-4636-8CD0-645FF5F17AC0.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 68
  • BA966D17-7158-4BFB-9CEB-36D2988FF190.jpeg
    BA966D17-7158-4BFB-9CEB-36D2988FF190.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 69
Back
Top Bottom