how do i get angry reptar out?

RePtAr11

Hi, just wanted to see if any of u people that own mean chameleons ever have to get them out... i need to do some cleaning and he really needs a good soak. i spray the cage at least 6 times a day, but he just runs from the sprayer. i have a veiled chameleon that really needs a bath. and he just runs and jumps around in his cage like a crazy man hissing. he has not had a shower since he was 4 months old. Now he is about 8 to 9 months old maybe. also needs a soak so he can maybe loosen his stool. he has not been pooing much lately. any advice?
thanks

Are you sure you're using warm water? Put it in the sprayer hot, test it on you, then spray. It makes a huge difference. Also I had an idea awhile back of a glove that looks and feels like a branch :D

I use a stick with some fake vines on it. Or sometimes I pull the plant he is on out. The stick I use has a hole on the end for the tie up in the shower. I have a veiled too and he runs away from the mister hot or cold. He is starting to get used to it.

i have tried that but just seems to smart. he will avoid anything i put near him. and discovered he will jump to the bottom of the cage when i try to get him with black gloves on. afraid how that bite is going to be lol. but mainly worried about his crazy stunt jumping. if i pull him out of the cage with him on a branch or what not, he will still jump i think. then i will never get him back in.. grrrr

Take the whole cage and put it in the shower. Take some stuff out and clean it then put it back in and take the other not cleaned stuff out. Would that work?

Take two containers, and put them on either side of him and slowly have them close on him. He will either let himself get caught because he has no idea what is going on or grab 1 or both of the containers. If he grabs the containers just take them out of the cage and he will be on them. This is how I got both of my chameleons out but now my female comes out willingly most of the time. The male on the other hand is losing his fear of me and is still mean. Also another way to get them out is to lure them out with food lol. If your cham is comfortable with hand feeding you can do that to get him completely out of the cage.

well thanks i guess im going to figure out what im going to do out of the three lol. and thanks.. i will let you guys know today haha. hope it goes good.

I bought some gloves called Rose Pruning Gauntlet gloves from Lowes earlier this year so I could safely take my mean guy out. I put them on (they're thick leather and got up to your elbows) and grab him carefully and then set him down into his travel box, or the shower in your case. I was using a branch to get him out but he would run away from it and get all stressed. A vet recommended just using gloves and grabbing him out, he said it would be less stressful for him and if he did bite it wouldn't break the skin through the gloves. The key is to be gentle, you don't want to break anything or squeeze him too much.

The gauntlet up to your elbows ones are probably over kill but I feel like it gives me some extra time to grab him again if he gets out of my grip and scurries up my arm. When I used the branch he hightailed it up that thing and as soon as he got close to my arm that evil little mouth opened and I knew he was coming to get his revenge. lol.

screameleons has a good video the help pick up an angry cham i have a very grumpy veiled name el grumpo as you can see in my avatar pic and yes i must use gloves in order to pick him up. if he backs up into a corner stop. or do as carol suggest put a fake or real plant outside his cage door and let him climb out on it on his own and then go from there. also try hand feeding him my malles want nothing to do with me but my female veileds are some what different. also it doesn't matter spray him any ways just think do you really believe it doesn't rain where they come from. he will get use to it sooner or later and might learn to enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom