How do I gain my Chams trust?

Lacilolol

Hi! I just got an approx. 1 year old male Veiled Chameleon. He’s super skittish! I know to give him time to adjust to his new environment, but is there anything I could do that would help him like me better? I was able to cup feed him, I feel like that was a big step!

I have a veiled male 6 mo old and have had him for almost 3 mo. Got him from a well known breeder as a juvenile.
He is super skiddish and will head for cover upon approaching his cage. It is hard to even get a good look at him because of his running to hide. Beaman has given me a few tips as far as sitting patiently in front of his cage daily and am working on that.
I am usually in my recliner most of the day which is about 7 feet away from cage.He is fine with that but as soon as I get up he retreats. Everything else is just fine as far as activity,eating,drinking, and pooping. Think he just hates me?
Anyone been through this situation and have ideas on how to gain some trust? I have read many articles on handling chameleons but I can't get near this one to even start.
Thanks again Beaman for your input.

maybe he doesn’t like some of the colors or how your approaching him. let him see you more often and when you pass his cage try to not look at him as much like let him do his own thing and let him understand you’re a friend not a predator trying to eat him. ( that what i did with my female for the first few months )

Also you could try offering him a variety of worms that he likes. For a long time i was giving mine worms from my palm. at first he might run and hide but if you keep your palm up with the worm still in it while it’s in his eye sight he could start eating worms off your palm and become overall more tame.

For my veiled it was a steady process of offering hornworms and keeping out of range so he had to use my other hand to get it. The other is not wearing red. He hates red. Haha. Then once he is out I take him to a free range spot. Now he flys out to my hand.... Hissing and letting me know he is doing this because he wants to not because I want him to. Yeah he settles down once on my hand he just wants me to know he is in charge. It's a veiled thing.

Thanks for the info. He sees me all day long and I am afraid my arm would fall off waiting for him to eat from my hand but willing to give it a try. He is not a real agressive eater. Appreciate your reply and good to know people are willing to help others new to chameleons.

Back
Top Bottom