How do I earn my Cham's trust?

WyattN.

so yesterday I accidentally scared my baby veiled chameleon putting decor back in her cage, is there any thing I can do to sort of get back her trust?

You can also make sure to never grab her from above (like a bird of prey). Handle her on her terms. Place your hand in her path, letting her crawl on. I think it is good to move at her pace, slowly moving/walking whenever you are around her. Mine are very sensitive to fast movements (normal speed human movements are scary fast on chameleon terms). Food association does help build trust, but you also have to make sure she does not feel threatened by your movement. They like to move towards the highest point (often your head), so you can raise her up or sit down to make her feel like she has reached the summit. Lastly, they will not feel secure without grasping something with their tail. If their tail releases from a branch or your arm, let them re-establish their grip somewhere quickly to help them re-establish themselves.

Regardless of how much trust you build, it is good to recognize that handling a chameleon is always stressful for them. The goal is to minimize their stress and help them understand that you are not going to eat them or drop them. Those are the main concerns you need to address. However, they do not have emotional/social needs and they will not develop any kind of appreciation for the care you give outside of the fact that food comes when you are around... The causal relationship may never be clear to them. It is more of an association than a thank you. Don't try to personify their behavior because it will often lead to the wrong solution. They see you as a predator. A slow, disinterested predator is preferable to a fast moving predator that won't take its sight off you...

You can also make sure to never grab her from above (like a bird of prey). Handle her on her terms. Place your hand in her path, letting her crawl on. I think it is good to move at her pace, slowly moving/walking whenever you are around her. Mine are very sensitive to fast movements (normal speed human movements are scary fast on chameleon terms). Food association does help build trust, but you also have to make sure she does not feel threatened by your movement. They like to move towards the highest point (often your head), so you can raise her up or sit down to make her feel like she has reached the summit. Lastly, they will not feel secure without grasping something with their tail. If their tail releases from a branch or your arm, let them re-establish their grip somewhere quickly to help them re-establish themselves.

Regardless of how much trust you build, it is good to recognize that handling a chameleon is always stressful for them. The goal is to minimize their stress and help them understand that you are not going to eat them or drop them. Those are the main concerns you need to address. However, they do not have emotional/social needs and they will not develop any kind of appreciation for the care you give outside of the fact that food comes when you are around... The causal relationship may never be clear to them. It is more of an association than a thank you. Don't try to personify their behavior because it will often lead to the wrong solution. They see you as a predator. A slow, disinterested predator is preferable to a fast moving predator that won't take its sight off you...
I knew about the don't grab from above or at all. Never do.
Hand feeding. If she won't take from your hand you can start with a cup first. Offer once a day for the first feeder and eventually they learn you bring food.
I usually hand feed or I set the cricket I recently killed on her small feeding tray in her cage.

I think Dridrop above summarized everything perfectly- I've read on here stories of chameleons that come to the front of the cage and want to come out when they see their owner but that's rare. Also, given the fact that an adult can change its mind about you or someone you hand it off to regardless of past behavior- and inflict a bite that will definitely bleed and might require stitches, a good policy is look don't touch.

I know some people say chams are a look but don't touch but I feel like if I stop holding my Cham she'll forget about me and start disliking me. And how do I get her to her free range tree?

Ultimately chameleons only "know" a limited number of things: safe/not safe, food/not food, etc. They live on instincts, not memories and not emotions. That being said, if she doesn't like to be held and you continue to hold her, she will associate you with "not safe". Startling her one time won't condition her to dislike you. If you want to gain her trust let her come to you and when she does, associate it with something she needs (food, free-range). Move slow, and above all, be patient. If she doesn't want to come out or be held, don't do it.

I wouldn't say that she doesn't like being held it's just she would prefer her trees, but it's not like hisses at me when I hold her.

Just keep in mind they don't always employ a threat display like hissing or lunging when they are stressed. Sometimes they are very quiet and still because they have" given up", sometimes they lunge away from a threat to get to a safe place. She prefers her trees because she can hide and it's safe to her.

I think there is something to be said about providing regular (once every week or two), positive handling experiences so that she does not feel as threatened by it. It's good for her to associate you and handling with safe, low-stress outcomes. Hand feeding also helps build trust because it requires a lot of patience to get them comfortable with the idea. You will learn through that process that even the slightest movement can send her the other way. I believe you will learn to read her queues better if you can successfully hand feed her.

I'm just not sure I'm comfortable with the word "trust." It is more about setting expectations correctly and consistently. They expect you will try to eat them. The more times you show you are disinterested in making a meal out of her; the more relaxed she will become. I'm not sure I'd ever trust a grizzly or a male lion near me. It doesn't matter how many times they've hand fed me... it would always turn my stomach over when they approach.

I constantly hand feed her she takes it 85% of the time. We can probably stop this conversation now since I tried a different technique and it totally worked she is better than before. I recommend leaving they're cage door open anytime your in the room, but don't go over to them while doing it. Leave them alone and do your own thing.

Back
Top Bottom