How do chameleons hatch in the wild?

PardonMyPardalis

Established Member
Sup cham fam I’ve always wondered how chameleons in the wild hatch while underground. How is it that they have enough force to break out the egg while having so much dirt piled on top of them? Something I’ve always pondered about but could never truly get a legitimate answer out of anybody. Thanks to all who share some information 👍🏽

Sup cham fam I’ve always wondered how chameleons in the wild hatch while underground. How is it that they have enough force to break out the egg while having so much dirt piled on top of them? Something I’ve always pondered about but could never truly get a legitimate answer out of anybody. Thanks to all who share some information 👍🏽
I asked this exact question to Bill Strand. He told me that chameleons in the wild don't need to dig so deep as they do in captivity to feel safe, so they usually lay in 1 or 2 inches underground and the babies are able to dig their way out when they hatch.. also the soil stays relatively soft and when they're kept in a cluster they communicate with each other so they all come out around the same time making it easier for them to emerge from the soil

I would imagine that, because the eggs shrink at the end of the incubation time, there is a bit of space in the hole at the time they hatch...so then the soil is moved down into that space as they start to dig out...and it continues that way until they reach the surface.

I asked this exact question to Bill Strand. He told me that chameleons in the wild don't need to dig so deep as they do in captivity to feel safe, so they usually lay in 1 or 2 inches underground and the babies are able to dig their way out when they hatch.. also the soil stays relatively soft and when they're kept in a cluster they communicate with each other so they all come out around the same time making it easier for them to emerge from the soil
Oh okay thanks for the info I appreciate you. I might try leaving the eggs in a cluster next time rather than spreading them out individually, might even speed up the incubation period and increase my successful hatches. 👍🏽

So sounds like the soil is wet and easier to dig out of. Love how the little one is eating spiderlings right next to the big spider. 😅
Wow that’s exactly the type of video I’ve been searching for for 2 years😂 Yeah those baby chams are brave for eating the spiders babies right next to mama spider 😂

I would imagine that, because the eggs shrink at the end of the incubation time, there is a bit of space in the hole at the time they hatch...so then the soil is moved down into that space as they start to dig out...and it continues that way until they reach the surface.
That actually makes a lot of sense thanks 🙏🏽

Oh okay thanks for the info I appreciate you. I might try leaving the eggs in a cluster next time rather than spreading them out individually, might even speed up the incubation period and increase my successful hatches. 👍🏽
I'm sorry, let me phrase it better: It won't change the incubation period and definitely won't increase the chances of hatching, it just makes them communicate when it's time to get out of the egg. I guess you can consider it "speeding up the process" but only for the slower ones

I'm sorry, let me phrase it better: It won't change the incubation period and definitely won't increase the chances of hatching, it just makes them communicate when it's time to get out of the egg. I guess you can consider it "speeding up the process" but only for the slower ones
I have to agree with this...it won't likely change the incubation period....but I've always thought it could affect the health of some because some of them will hatch a bit before their optimum time. By hatching more individually when spread apart, I feel each one hatches more closely to the time it should have hatched instead of hatching Waller because it's sibling did.

Back
Top Bottom