How common is it to SEE a Chameleon eat and drink?

ZEROPILOT

Avid Member
I have three Veiled Chameleons in 3 cages. Each cage has a "Little dripper" that drips for about 2.5 hours and MISTKING nozzles that go off for 3 minutes every 4 hours.
There is a lot of opportunity to drink...
But I saw with my own eyes actual drinking today for the first time!
I'll see them go towards the water and stop when they notice me. I've even seen them with water dripping on their heads.... but today, actual open mouth drinking. With water drops going into his mouth!
He stopped the moment he saw me looking at him.
Is this behavior secretive?
I know they're hydrated. They all have that white/dark poop.
I also have one Chameleon that eats secretively. He won't eat if I'm watching him.
But devours everything once I leave the room.
The other 2 eat no matter what's going on.

I have three Veiled Chameleons in 3 cages. Each cage has a "Little dripper" that drips for about 2.5 hours and MISTKING nozzles that go off for 3 minutes every 4 hours.
There is a lot of opportunity to drink...
But I saw with my own eyes actual drinking today for the first time!
I'll see them go towards the water and stop when they notice me. I've even seen them with water dripping on their heads.... but today, actual open mouth drinking. With water drops going into his mouth!
He stopped the moment he saw me looking at him.
Is this behavior secretive?
I know they're hydrated. They all have that white/dark poop.
I also have one Chameleon that eats secretively. He won't eat if I'm watching him.
But devours everything once I leave the room.
The other 2 eat no matter what's going on.
Neither my veild or panther hesitate to eat or drink In front of me, but the reclusive nature your describing is normal too.

Out of the 9 months I’ve had this chameleon I’ve only seen him drink once and that was right out of the box. I’ve sat and watched for hrs sometimes nothing. Sometimes he would sit directly under the dripper and it would drip on his head and nothing lol! Misting, he just runs. I’ve spied on him so he can’t see me and still nothing lol. His urates are always white and moist even when it has a bit of orange. I’m just guessing he gets a majority of his fluid intake from bugs and night time humidity.
My first Cham, same thing I never saw him drink. The only time I did was after a 3 day vet visit.

I see my panther drink at least once or twice a week by licking dew off leaves. When he was younger He loved to shoot his tongue at water droplets. He doesn’t do that much anymore he just likes licking the dew. If you observe enough you should see them eventually in the act of drinking.

Even if you don’t see them drinking, the urates will tell you If he’s hydrated or not and thats what matters. :)

I dont see pascal drink I mist him 2/3 times a day. And have a dripper going in plain sight for at least an hour or two a day. Even when I think I've stimulated him to drink he wont do it in front of me. I worry he will become dehydrated.

My boy Rodger will eat no matter what, but I’ve never seen him drink, the plants collect a lot of water and he likes to hide in the leaves, I guess he drinks off of them then.

In the 8 months I’ve had Grumpy I’ve only once seen her drink one drop off a leaf. Have had Stella 4-5 months and never seen her drink. No problems with eating as I either hold the food or the cup...they have no choice but they’ve never been shy about eating.

My dude never drinks in plain view but is a chow hound. I've got a panther that's just over a year and still loves to see me prep my bugs he knows my feeding routine and more often than not comes to the front of the enclosure so I can stick my hand in he snags silks right off my hand. Not shy about eating at all. Try to use a horn worm as bait on a small deli lid or your hand and see if you can't charm them into putting on a show for you

Back
Top Bottom