How big do veiled chameleons grow ?

Hrm... I wouldn't think evolution would do anything at all over a period of a hundred years. If it did, though, maybe the breeders found smaller chameleons easier to feed, so they had a higher survival rate?

very good point..it would make sence just for the fact how say a free range set up with a large chameleon is much harder than say a pigmy would be( temp, humidiy, uv, feeding, ect ect ect)than in a smaller controlled vivarium...really makes me think....

Well, when you consider veileds are pretty much the only species that we have been able to produce past F5 (I think it was F5) without introducing wild blood, it makes sense that they seem to be getting smaller. We are obviously missing something that they get in the wild that contributes to their size and generational strength.

Well, when you consider veileds are pretty much the only species that we have been able to produce past F5 (I think it was F5) without introducing wild blood, it makes sense that they seem to be getting smaller. We are obviously missing something that they get in the wild that contributes to their size and generational strength.

I wonder what it is..cause that has got to be true..im sure 90 years ago they where a much larger size, but i wonder if temperment and adaptability have changed as well...its an intelligent thought...

i would say its the variety in the diet they get in the wild. how many dif things do u feed your and and the feeders compared to whats found in the wild
and the gene pool

i would say its the variety in the diet they get in the wild. how many dif things do u feed your and and the feeders compared to whats found in the wild
and the gene pool

has to be..i mean if you take into account how many freaggin varieties of feed insects thrive in their naturall habitat, eaing what they eat and changing locations, ect, ect..it has got to be the reason..(i wish there was an insect farm in madagasgar that sold feeder insects!!!!)

Where is the evidence that a given captive veiled (or other species) is in any way genetically altered so, being predisposed to smaller growth potential?
Who breeds chameleons specifically for smaller size? Where is the evidence that selective breeding for color and pattern traits ,in any way effects genes responsible for growth/size?
For that matter, from where exactly, comes the idea that sizes differ significantly between captive and wild populations anyway? Logically you might assume captives to average a larger size, given lack of predators, longer lives and allegedly, better care.
Pointing out individuals is invalid data. :)

I keep veileds and my male Luie is just shy of 4 years old and weighs 220 grams and 8 inches S to V and about 15 inches over all. My female Camille will be 3 years old next week and weights 135 grams and is 7 inches S to V and 13 inches over all.

I keep veileds and my male Luie is just shy of 4 years old and weighs 220 grams and 8 inches S to V and about 15 inches over all. My female Camille will be 3 years old next week and weights 135 grams and is 7 inches S to V and 13 inches over all.

thankyou !

Where is the evidence that a given captive veiled (or other species) is in any way genetically altered so, being predisposed to smaller growth potential?
Who breeds chameleons specifically for smaller size? Where is the evidence that selective breeding for color and pattern traits ,in any way effects genes responsible for growth/size?
For that matter, from where exactly, comes the idea that sizes differ significantly between captive and wild populations anyway? Logically you might assume captives to average a larger size, given lack of predators, longer lives and allegedly, better care.
Pointing out individuals is invalid data. :)

I wasn't talking about that? And anywho, Many other species seem to become weaker with each generation bred in captivity without WC blood. We are obviously missing something in their wild lives that is important for their generational success.

Oh yeah, My veiled is between 17-18 inches total length. (I checked :))

Most male species of chameleons are "easier" to take care of because you don't have to worry about egg laying. Most female chameleons will lay infertile egg without being mated at 6 months and on. As you would imagine egg laying is very tough on them and you have to always have an egg laying bin in their enclosure after they are about 6 months old.

I have a female Veiled, I hope her body without tail can reach at least 8 inch. I did see one last week at the Fort Worth zoo.. MASSIVE. I couldnt believe how big it was. The body was about the size of a football. The name started with a P, could have been a parsons but not sure.

IMG_3764.jpg

I have seen that cham too! He was beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom