How am I doing

Just wondering how I’m doing, my cham seems happy but if there’s anything I can improve on I would like to do so

Attachments

• C20A0299-79A7-415E-8568-FE13B5BE9780.jpeg
    C20A0299-79A7-415E-8568-FE13B5BE9780.jpeg
    261.5 KB · Views: 113
Without facial expressions, how do you tell he's happy? ;)

The enclosure could use more paths(branches) and foliage, make sure he has a good horizontal branch for basking. There's so much open space right now it would be a shame not to use it.
It's ok if the enclosure looks full and has lots of greens your animal can hide in and feel safe.

Can we pickup where we left off on you hydration thread? You said you followed all the advice your local pet shop gave you, that automatically sends up red flags to most of us! What kind of uvb are you running?

@Brodybreaux25 these two, I had to find the boxes, I don’t know my terms to say what bulb/lamp I have and such, it’s a reptile specific shop they have a ton of snakes, beardies, skinks, geckos I would really hope they know their stuff since that’s what they only deal with.

Attachments

• F38712F4-FD7A-44C0-AB61-DE9B503C4EDC.jpeg
    F38712F4-FD7A-44C0-AB61-DE9B503C4EDC.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 109
@Brodybreaux25 these two, I had to find the boxes, I don’t know my terms to say what bulb/lamp I have and such, it’s a reptile specific shop they have a ton of snakes, beardies, skinks, geckos I would really hope they know their stuff since that’s what they only deal with.

Do you have a digital thermometer? Having two 100 watt bulbs is going to be hot. Also for basking you only need a household incandescent bulb. Usually a 60 watt does the trick.

@Chameleon Mike He’s been getting on my dripper recently to bask so I figured the spot I had picked out for a basking zone wasn’t hot enough, and per @Remkon advice to add more paths I threw this stick here and he got right on it, the bigger stick below is exactly 8 inches away from the heat lamp which in my research said to have 6-8 inches away.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 117
@Chameleon Mike He’s been getting on my dripper recently to bask so I figured the spot I had picked out for a basking zone wasn’t hot enough, and per @Remkon advice to add more paths I threw this stick here and he got right on it, the bigger stick below is exactly 8 inches away from the heat lamp which in my research said to have 6-8 inches away.
In my research I saw people saying that when they are young they don’t really know how to control their basking so I didn’t want to risk cooking him.

That uvb bulb will not put out much heat, but with your current setup your Cham will not get the uvb he needs either. The CFL UVBs put out a tightly focused area of UVB light, in othe words if your Cham is not sitting directly under it he will not receive the UVB he needs. Since money is tight this will do for now, just make sure that he can sit right under it without getting burned. In time you should try to upgrade to a linear T5 UVB set up as they distribute UVB evenly across the top of the viv.

Did they tell you that you have to replace the bulb every 6 months?

Hey, Get a linear lamp fixture and t5ho uvb linear bulb as soon as you can,( I heard the $$$ tight thing) it’s expensive setting up, BUT, the sooner the better...although hate supporting PetSmart...they have a lot of dirt cheap plastic hanging plants you can attach on with fishing line or floral wire to give him more privacy (they’re $2.99-$8.99) I have a few of the $2.99 ones in mine. These also drip water well when misting stimulating him to drink...I see you’ve already got some good real plants in there(y)Even more perches too. Go to the park, your yard, wherever and get some decent sized sticks and make them work in there. Keep asking for advice ...as have I A LOT...and you’ll do fine. Good luck to you!!!

That uvb bulb will not put out much heat, but with your current setup your Cham will not get the uvb he needs either. The CFL UVBs put out a tightly focused area of UVB light, in othe words if your Cham is not sitting directly under it he will not receive the UVB he needs. Since money is tight this will do for now, just make sure that he can sit right under it without getting burned. In time you should try to upgrade to a linear T5 UVB set up as they distribute UVB evenly across the top of the viv.

Did they tell you that you have to replace the bulb every 6 months?
Yes I knew about replacing from research, and they said that too.

But you do have a good start...he’s got a form of uvb lighting, a heat lamp, and perches too , and real plants...so don’t be down...the foundation is there..and you’re asking for advice so you’re on top of it...some folks on here don’t get that we got crappy advice from so called reptile experts and we did what we were told. I get that...it happened to me and I had to get some things straightened out too...:D

But you do have a good start...he’s got a form of uvb lighting, a heat lamp, and perches too , and real plants...so don’t be down...the foundation is there..and you’re asking for advice so you’re on top of it...some folks on here don’t get that we got crappy advice from so called reptile experts and we did what we were told. I get that...it happened to me and I had to get some things straightened out too...:D
Thanks for your help it’s good to get positive feed back instead of someone just saying I’m doing it wrong and not telling me why, my mother has a blue uvb grow light, it’s small but would that work to ad more uvb?

That’s a good start but when we say don’t waste any space we mean something more like the pic below.
8665FBF5-65A7-4DFA-8BAB-DA3DF4C8DC30.jpeg

What’s the best way to hang a Pothos plant, the reptile store gave me a vine of it and said it will grow more from that, right now it’s on my porch so it get sun and watered

And how do could I do drainage for my dripper currently the paper towels on the bottom get soaked daily and I just change them every night before it’s his bedtime

That I don’t know..(uvb blue light) .maybe someone more experienced will chime in...take the advice...it’s good advice...roll your eyes at any snarky comments and do your thing...if you adhere to the good advice (and understand these ppl are somewhat passionate in their responses) you’ll grow to like them for their honesty...I was like urghhh for a few days but it was good advice and I implemented asap, to the benefit of my Cham...you’ve got this...

And how do could I do drainage for my dripper currently the paper towels on the bottom get soaked daily and I just change them every night before it’s his bedtime
Organize bin from dollar store, river rocks from dollar store, fake grass ...directly under my dripper...less than $5 for all...

Attachments

• A839A4F5-2F99-4875-BC48-A616C1BBCB70.jpeg
    A839A4F5-2F99-4875-BC48-A616C1BBCB70.jpeg
    385 KB · Views: 117
What’s the best way to hang a Pothos plant, the reptile store gave me a vine of it and said it will grow more from that, right now it’s on my porch so it get sun and watered
I’d go buy a $5 golden pothos from Lowe’s //Home Depot and be done with it...they’re in season right now...

Back
Top Bottom