how’s everything looking

this is my female jackson’s chams set up, i’m hoping to get some more leaves to cover the glass and hopefully screen material to run up one side because i notice her trying to grab the glass, i think screen up the inside will provide her the opportunity. there’s 4 ‘levels’ of branch she can climb. i don’t have a dual fixture so i just screw in / screw out her daytime basking & nighttime heat. temp stays right around 80 i try and keep humidity around 60-70 that’s proving itself to be challenging without an automatic mister. overall she seems to be fairly happy, plenty of place to climb and feel high. let me know if you see something i shouldn’t have done or something i could to do make her happier. at the end of the day, just want her to be happy & healthy :)

Attachments

• 7E169ABD-8E81-4371-9008-81B0022409B9.jpeg
    7E169ABD-8E81-4371-9008-81B0022409B9.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 106
  • C1E7713D-C68A-4B1F-9907-C2D07A0662DA.jpeg
    C1E7713D-C68A-4B1F-9907-C2D07A0662DA.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 1CA3CBD4-FB35-4D68-B78C-1E31FFAB3881.jpeg
    1CA3CBD4-FB35-4D68-B78C-1E31FFAB3881.jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 8FB307F9-7677-4DD2-8F5D-8EA443BC7B5B.jpeg
    8FB307F9-7677-4DD2-8F5D-8EA443BC7B5B.jpeg
    282.9 KB · Views: 124
  • CC708EE7-0365-47FD-8E31-D39BE0210554.jpeg
    CC708EE7-0365-47FD-8E31-D39BE0210554.jpeg
    224 KB · Views: 152
  • 0A704C54-868B-4993-BABB-32D5A9DA20A3.jpeg
    0A704C54-868B-4993-BABB-32D5A9DA20A3.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 102
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) If you'd like a husbandry review, please fill out the following form win as much detail as possible, and one of our members knowledgeable in Jacksons can take a look! (@JacksJill) My knowledge doesn't lie with Jacksons, but I can see a few things that need upgrading for optimal health!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Re: trying to climb glass - you can build a lattice for the inside of your enclosure to provide grip and anchoring points! Could also use plastic deer guard fencing to line the inside. This is what I did with my screen enclosure:

Welcome to the Forum.
What an interesting cage does it have any ventilation on the sides? anywhere but the top? I have concerns but I will wait and go over it all at once when I have your other info.

okay sweet! thanks for all the info :)
here’s my chameleon info:
- my chameleon, marley
• handling - only when needed
• feeding - wax worms, meal worms, crickets keep bowl full of 2-3 at all times so she can eat when she pleases
• supplements - repticalcium with D3, throw a scoop in a bag and shake up the worms & crickets in it
• watering - little dripper, shell drink straight from the dripper or the bark it’s dripping onto, i don’t have a mister yet so i’ve been hand misting to keep the humidity above 60 - 70
• fecal - whiteish, clear urine. followed by a solid brown poop, not exactly sure what to look for. poop has not been tested.
• history - petco cham, she’s been finicky about eating even when they had her, loves wax worms & crickets. doesn’t care too much for meal worms.

• cage - it’s a glass, half circle. the center of the cage gives about just under a foot in width. about 2 & 1/2 feet deep and about 1 & 1/2 ft long.
• lighting - 75 watt night blue heat lamp (exo-terra) 75 watt day basking light, 75 watt uvb
•temp - temp stays at about 80 degrees
• humidity - this is where i’m having trouble, i don’t have an automatic mister yet so i hans mist her everytime i see it drop below 60. sometimes at night i wake up and it’s as 40, which i know is too low, saving up for an automatic mister.
• plants - no live plants yet, she loves her fake pot leafs lol
• placement - cage is on my desk about 3-4 feet from my window, top of cage sits about just under 5 feet from the floor.
• location - mile high city, denver colorado VERY DRY ALL THE TIME HERE !!

i hope i included enough information about marley and her habitat, please let me know if i should change anything

Welcome to the Forum.
What an interesting cage does it have any ventilation on the sides? anywhere but the top? I have concerns but I will wait and go over it all at once when I have your other info.
only ventilation on the top. plus i have lights and a dripper up there that creates even less airflow, sometimes i like to open the door to get air in there. i’ve only had her for a couple days, here’s all her info

- my chameleon, marley
• feeding - wax worms, meal worms, crickets keep bowl full of 2-3 at all times so she can eat when she pleases
• supplements - repticalcium with D3, throw a scoop in a bag and shake up the worms & crickets in it
• watering - little dripper, shell drink straight from the dripper or the bark it’s dripping onto, i don’t have a mister yet so i’ve been hand misting to keep the humidity above 60 - 70
• fecal - whiteish, clear urine. followed by a solid brown poop, not exactly sure what to look for. poop has not been tested.
• history - petco cham, she’s been finicky about eating even when they had her, loves wax worms & crickets. doesn’t care too much for meal worms.

• cage - it’s a glass, half circle. the center of the cage gives about just under a foot in width. about 2 & 1/2 feet deep and about 1 & 1/2 ft long.
• lighting - 75 watt night blue heat lamp (exo-terra) 75 watt day basking light, 75 watt uvb
• humidity - this is where i’m having trouble, i don’t have an automatic mister yet so i hans mist her everytime i see it drop below 60. sometimes at night i wake up and it’s as 40, which i know is too low, saving up for an automatic mister.
• placement - cage is on my desk about 3-4 feet from my window, top of cage sits about just under 5 feet from the floor.

i hope i included enough information about marley and her habitat, please let me know if i should change anything

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) If you'd like a husbandry review, please fill out the following form win as much detail as possible, and one of our members knowledgeable in Jacksons can take a look! (@JacksJill) My knowledge doesn't lie with Jacksons, but I can see a few things that need upgrading for optimal health!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Re: trying to climb glass - you can build a lattice for the inside of your enclosure to provide grip and anchoring points! Could also use plastic deer guard fencing to line the inside. This is what I did with my screen enclosure:

View attachment 250823
okay sweet! thanks for all the info :)
- my chameleon, marley

I will go through the rest but right now stop giving her the calcium with D3 immediately. She should only get one dose of that a month. It is a common mistake but if it continues it can be fatal.
good to know, interesting how people say to give it with all food, i’ll make sure to cut back

It is given more often for other species. Jackson's have different requirements I will give you a couple good supplement schedules and you can pick which will work for you best.
Link D3 Poisoning if you feel like reading about it.

i’ll definitely look into it. i took her to the vet yesterday because she’s looking very skinny, yesterday morning i could see her ribs. (again i’ve only had her for a couple days and i knew purchasing her she was already on a hunger strike) so the vet prescribed her calcium that i syringe feed her, i’m not too happy with that because i know she doesn’t like it. but it’s what’s necessary for her.
on the plus side, yesterday she ate 2 crickets & 3 wax worms !!!

Attachments

• 12C42FA0-B5DD-411C-B5BB-18CE8591FB6B.jpeg
    12C42FA0-B5DD-411C-B5BB-18CE8591FB6B.jpeg
    327.1 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 128
How tall is your enclosure? In my opinion, when you get your auto mister, invest in a screen cage. there no way there enough airflow in there. And maybe a slightly taller cage, too. Try and get your hands on some live plants as well. they greatly improve humidity in my cage for my new baby.

Though since your species requires more humidity than mine, maybe you could try and customize a screen cage? ive seen things where they put Plexiglas on a few of the sides, but not the front or top, to help keep in some humidity, but still have good airflow. IM no where near as experienced as jacksjill, but that's my input.

How tall is your enclosure? In my opinion, when you get your auto mister, invest in a screen cage. there no way there enough airflow in there. And maybe a slightly taller cage, too. Try and get your hands on some live plants as well. they greatly improve humidity in my cage for my new baby.
sounds good! just saving up all the money to get the stuff :)

How tall is your enclosure currently? They love climbing and the taller the better.

And what kind of uvb are you using? A tube fluorescent fixture, or a compact screw in bulb?

Back
Top Bottom