Housing Ideas for Disabled Cham- Please Help

Valentine

My male veiled, a rescue on death's door, had been improving for over a year- getting stronger, climbing somewhat improved, etc. Had an accident and nearly died...anyhow we think he has brain damage. He is unbalanced, will let go while climbing, regularly grabbing front legs with back..leading to falling over. He eats very well and takes water from a spray bottle or syringe. Temps are good. He is in a medium exo terra. He wants to climb and I have some branches in there, etc. He is constantly falling- upside down, etc. He appears content even when stuck. I am at a loss as to how to set up his tank. I keep changing it and it...i feel it could be better. Can you show me some pictures of your "special" set ups? I want the rest of his life to be the best it can be. Thanks

Attachments

• 20220706_212445.jpg
    20220706_212445.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 58
Hi. :) I don’t have any special set ups to show, but I have seen some that use all sorts of things to keep their chams safe. Bearded dragon hammocks might be the easiest to help your guy. You can set them up as bridges going across one way and then further down, set it up going the other way, so that it’s like a cross.
I do have to ask what you’re using for uvb and supplements.

Hi. :) I don’t have any special set ups to show, but I have seen some that use all sorts of things to keep their chams safe. Bearded dragon hammocks might be the easiest to help your guy. You can set them up as bridges going across one way and then further down, set it up going the other way, so that it’s like a cross.
I do have to ask what you’re using for uvb and supplements.
The green hammocks or the brown viney type?
UVB is a t-5 Arcadia 10%
Suppliments: daily calcium no d3; calcium +d3 and multi vit every two weeks.

He generally only eats crickets gut loaded with PIG and some veg. (We stick to crickets because he likes them and we appears to chew them well...there are fears of him eating something that cam bite back)

Grabbing front legs with back legs is usually a sign of MBD. If you have ruled that out then building ladders is one way to make it easier for them to get around. You can buy parrot ladders or make your own with branches and zip ties. Make some horizontal and some vertical. The more the easier to get around.

I would say to use the long woven brown hammocks to run from one side to the other. Like these
61825755-E34E-4589-A55D-80324240A008.jpeg
Usually we caution against using those as there is a risk for cham nails to get stuck in the fiber weave. I recall seeing that someone had used some sort of soft garden type netting, but can’t find anything close to it on line. Maybe check out Sweet Pea on Facebook or Instagram. Sweet girl had to have a heavily modified enclosure due to her severe mbd.

The green hammocks or the brown viney type?
UVB is a t-5 Arcadia 10%
Suppliments: daily calcium no d3; calcium +d3 and multi vit every two weeks.

He generally only eats crickets gut loaded with PIG and some veg. (We stick to crickets because he likes them and we appears to chew them well...there are fears of him eating something that cam bite back)

Grabbing front legs with back legs is usually a sign of MBD. If you have ruled that out then building ladders is one way to make it easier for them to get around. You can buy parrot ladders or make your own with branches and zip ties. Make some horizontal and some vertical. The more the easier to get around.
MBD has been ruled out.

I have some ladders and vines...but he lets go or grabs himself or just doesn't seem to know to put his feet (at times, esp. The left one)- then he falls over and pretty much lays there until we check on him and fix him. My husband works from home and checks on him through out the day.

I understand setting up a safe enclosure, which I’m sure people can give some recommendations, but I also feel the help form should be filled out to better assist the root of the problem. Maybe you’re right that it’s not MBd, but we might as well try eh? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I understand setting up a safe enclosure, which I’m sure people can give some recommendations, but I also feel the help form should be filled out to better assist the root of the problem. Maybe you’re right that it’s not MBd, but we might as well try eh? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Multiple vet visits with a trusted exotics vet along with proper UVB and supplements for over a year (while in our care) AND the problem is considerably worse since the accident where he nearly died.

I really need enclosure ideas so he is safe, comfortable and happy.

Cheers

Neurologic injury could also explain the condition with leg grabbing. We would be neglectful if we didn’t bring MBD up not knowing your situation. Excessive D3 dosing can also produce similar symptoms. We have seen vets over prescribing it in the past.
As for caging a flat hospital cage is some times used for very compromised animals. The difficulty is in creating zones of heat and UVB they can reach or evade .

What was the accident and what happened to make you suspect he has brain damage?
He had a fall. Was found mostly on his back, in water (3/4 of an inch? - I was neglectful and waited to suck up the water till the next day).

He was very dark, cold and unresponsive. It took 20 mins of rubbing him, trying to get water out of him and a heat lamp-- at 20 mins or so he very slowly started to move.

I thought for sure he was dead. 😢😭

Back
Top Bottom