Hornworms

yankfanthom

Established Member
Okay so does anyone have the secrets to start breeding my own hornworms? My guys eat them like its crack and spending another 50-100 bucks a month is getting to be a bit much.

Its not that hard but its the most disgusting insect ive ever tried to breed. Google the Manduca Project. You'll find all the necessary info on setting up a breeding colony and a breeding enclosure.

After the worms emerge from the coccoon as a moth they expel all of their digestive juices all over the place! Nastiest stuff Ive ever messed with.

Its not that hard but its the most disgusting insect ive ever tried to breed. Google the Manduca Project. You'll find all the necessary info on setting up a breeding colony and a breeding enclosure.

After the worms emerge from the coccoon as a moth they expel all of their digestive juices all over the place! Nastiest stuff Ive ever messed with.

I may just stick to the 50-100 bucks a month. Mmmmmmm although it does sound tasty...

Yeah, I know they're high dollar feeders. I thought the same thing til I had to clean that crap up. My gf was gagging when she saw the mess they made. She still makes fun of me about it a yr later. lol

Now I pupate a few worms here and there and I immed feed em off after they emerge before they can puke on anything. My big males will eat the moths but my females act like they are scared of them. lol

Check with Dave at Small Pet Feeders. His prices are reasonable you might save a few bux on your next order. He rears the blue form of horns.

I have breed and raised hornworms and I didn't find them any more digusting than silkworms. You can't save any of the eggs for later, so it's not as convenient as silks. Plus, the real mess that I found was feeding the moths! They use a hummingbird feeder and they don't have table manners. It was fun to try out though - but for me, not worth the effort.

Yeah, I know they're high dollar feeders. I thought the same thing til I had to clean that crap up. My gf was gagging when she saw the mess they made. She still makes fun of me about it a yr later. lol

Now I pupate a few worms here and there and I immed feed em off after they emerge before they can puke on anything. My big males will eat the moths but my females act like they are scared of them. lol

Check with Dave at Small Pet Feeders. His prices are reasonable you might save a few bux on your next order. He rears the blue form of horns.

I go through Dave now. He's great! I'm just looking to see about a little DIY project. My Panthers seem to despise dubia and will eat the crix regularly but the Horns they devour.

Thank you for all the positive feedback everyone :) I'm glad we're able to help, Amy has really been busting a hump for us on the new shopping cart system we'll be dropping real soon. Breeder and Wholesale accounts should be available in the next few weeks. We're actually looking for a few breeders to start working with on bi weekly or monthly shipments. If you'd like to apply, just shoot me a PM with your needs and we can talk about it.

By the way, if you're looking to try breeding Hornworms out for yourself, you can request your 10 Large Manduca Pod to be close to pupate, or at times I'll have a good deal of them going into pupation and will sell the lot off wholesale. However, my Hornworm breeder usually gets rights to the first pupating worms I have to keep our stocks constant.

Hornworm Breeding is very involved, having to scrape eggs practically every night, and as Texas Panther Man said they expel a rather disgusting liquid when they hatch from their chrysalises. It takes lots of time and lots of patience, but can be rather fun too :)

-Dave
SPF

Back
Top Bottom